Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Early days of a bathroom reno

Household Management managed to snap off my towel holder in my bathroom while he was cleaning. It was a kind of twenty centimetre wide plastic arm. It was not great for spreading out a towel. It was also yellowed, as old plastic does. Did me a favour really.


While most of the fittings in my bathroom are white, there is some silver, the cupboard door handles at least. Why not add some silver, brushed stainless steel to be precise. R, I have to work. Can you go to the big tin shed shop and get something new. If the width of the towel rail was made to fit, it could not have been a better fit. I am not sure why the woodwork looks brown. It isn't really. It is a high gloss two pack finish, eggshell?,  that has kind of changed to an ivory colour. We repainted a couple of years ago, but we didn't touch the the high gloss woodwork.


R bought the matching toilet roll holder too, much nice than old plastic one. I will leave out the bother of fitting them, drills, nails, hammers, spirit levels, stud finders, screws, plugs and then the repair, filling, sanding and paint. Just a five minute job really.


This is the next project, a new toilet seat and lid. I scratched it with the ladder it when painting a few years ago. It has become worse, not helped by R who thought needed a good clean and got stuck into it.

24 comments:

  1. I like it but I don't prefer bathrooms which are white only. In my opinion is very monotonous. In Europe we mostly have light but colourful bathrooms.But each country is diffferent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, my favourite bathroom in other places we have lived was black and white. But many of our bathrooms now are very white.

      Delete
  2. When is R available to renovate my apartment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I did most of the work, while after I went to work, R patched and painted. We are not available, thank you.

      Delete
  3. The brushed stainless steel looks very nice. Can you get a toilet seat to match? Ha Ha. (stick with white)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, why do I suddenly feel very cold?

      Delete
  4. Very nice. You make a good team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quote FC, "If you hadn't spoken and spoilt my concentration then I would not have dropped the grub screw and it wouldn't have gone down the plug hole". Actually, it bounced out onto the bedroom carpet.

      Delete
  5. Living in low income housing you kind of have to take what they give you like it or not, but I am lucky and have really a very nice cream color. Whites are good because then you can do any colors in towels and rugs and things. I like your new TP holder btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You place sounds quite nice Rubye. You deserve it.

      Delete
  6. I love libraries, lounge rooms, bedrooms and balconies, but bathrooms seem... well.... functional. As long as they function well!

    But I must admit that brushed stainless steel looks smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I love my bedroom and my private ensuite. I spend rather a lot of time there.There is always a stray hair to find and pluck out.

      Delete
  7. Good work. 'a house is A Machine For Living'. form follows fitness follows function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I rather like our place being described as a machine for living. It is my refuge from the world.

      Delete
  8. I need to get some towel rails and put them in at Dad's as he has none. I shall have to check out the tin shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, you buy them and I am sure he can install them.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, no, I'm handier than my Dad!

      Delete
    3. Ah, I forgot. He was a school teacher.

      Delete
  9. Looks very nice ! Now you can spend more time in the bathroom !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I spend a lot of time there already, but no with a very good result.

      Delete
  10. It's amazing how these little improvement can transform the entire bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Mitchell. It has enthused me to improve it more, in the long term.

      Delete
  11. All improvements for the best! How about a nice jarrah toilet seat Andrew.. all you'd have to worry about then would be splinters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, done that Grace, although not jarrah. God made plastic for very good reasons.

      Delete