Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Late for the Boxing Day Sales

We had a list. Too heavy to carry home on tram, R proclaimed. We will go to Chadstone. What? I am scared of Chadstone, the largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere.  My Chadstone phobia turned out to be unfounded. We went early and found a parking space right at the front door. But first breakfast. This looks nice. It was well staffed with pleasant young people. But hey, they forgot our order and after we finished our coffee that came almost immediately, we enquired why our food was taking so long. Five staff in an almost empty cafe and our food order was lost. Grrrr.



Our 'table number'.

A wall inside adorned with doors.



The shopping list was as follows:
New dinner set.
New towels.
New steak knives.
Printer ink.

We tried four shops that sell towels and ended up getting what we wanted in Myer. All these old towels that never get used are going to the RSPCA. I have washed the new towels and I have red fluff all over my black jeans. They are going to be troublesome, I can see. The blue ones are going too. They show the stains where you dry your hands on them very badly. I have had enough of trying to keep them clean. There is a photo here of when we bought the last set, the blue and grey ones in this photo. We are keeping the grey set and  one of the older sets for guests. Two new towels, bath mats and one hand towel, $102, discounted from $145.

The oldies and the new ones, washed and once dry, ready to use. The blue ones are going too, but they had to be washed first.



We tried three shops before we also found steak knives we liked at a good price in Myer. Our old ones have wooden handles and after over twenty years of use, they are suffering severely from diswasheritis. I think they came from Coles. We saved stamps and could get a knife and fork about once a fortnight. We had four sets. Six new steak knives at half price, $16.


We tried about about seven places for a dinner set, wanting only dinner and side plates, and cereal bowls. Our old set is chipped and marked. In the last place we tried, we found just what we wanted. They are very good quality, not too light and not too heavy and the bowls and plates not absurdly large. Two sets of four at half price made them $120.

 

Printer ink has gone up a bit. While the four pack of ink is a little cheaper, we already have a spare black ink cartridge from the last time when we bought the four pack. While we bought them at Dick Smith, a friend told us to go to Harvey Norman and ask if they can do a better cash price, and they always do for him. God forbid that we should run out of ink and Little Jo could not print something.

What we did not plan to buy is new milk jugs. One of our old ones is a lovely cream coloured jug in a classic shape and was bought second hand thirty years ago. The other is newer one and it is chipped and has been thrown out. Milk jugs, you wonder? We make our own milk from skim milk powder. Remember, if you tempted to try 'watery milk' as Little Jo calls it, it must mature overnight in the fridge. We always have full cream UHT milk at home for visitors. New jugs, reduced from $50 to $20 each.

We will keep the old cream jug but throw out the blue jug. 



I had at hand one of those tear off maps of the shopping centre. Nonsense, said R. I know where Dick Smith is and confidently marched on. A minute or so later, he said, you have a map. You better check. I did and we found it but got thoroughly lost on the way back.

While there are many nice shop windows and things of beauty inside Chadstone, like all shopping centres of its style, the outside is horrible. However an attempt at making things a little more pleasant around the building has been made.


 

The consumerism did not end that day though, it continued the next after that evening R boiled a pot dry, picked up the vegetable steamer and the knob came off. It dropped into the sink and a leg broke. It is not very old, but today I bough a new plastic one. It was more expensive than the metal one, $24, and hopefully it will last longer. Fortunately I could buy this in town and not face Chadstone again.

 




28 comments:

  1. I haven't braved the sales yet. Big shopping centres do my head in. The smaller portion has, here and in Brisbane. He bought chocolate (which we need not), a solar charger for his phone (which we need not) and a calendar. To join the other five 2014 calendars in the house. The cluttered and overcrowded house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes I usually avoid them. We ended up with only one calendar this year, instead of four last year. I wonder if I need a solar phone charger? It would be handy, except I can't imagine me finding a use for it.

      Delete
  2. I attended the Boxing Day sales (on Boxing Day) in David Jones in Sydney once around twenty years ago and vowed never, never, ever again.

    Two years ago, visiting friends in Brisbane for Christmas we agreed to meet at Chermside Shopping Centre. I had a hire car and my iPhone for directions. What I didn't have was a car parking space. Drove round and round with hundreds of others in ever increasing circles until finally found a spot in the next suburb(?). Then had to find friends who already were deep inside Myer. Never, never, ever again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I would never go on Boxing Day, but we are rather late in grabbing some bargains this year.

      Your Brisbane experience sounds like a nightmare.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly which steak knives you have/had from Coles with the wooden handles. We have some too. We also have newer ones but if I am setting the table, I still prefer the old ones.

    Love the steamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, it seems we both got bargains with the steak knives and they lasted very well. The steamer hasn't been used yet, but I am sure it will be good.

      Delete
  4. I avoid crowds now so it's been years since I went to sales but I found unless you go with a list you end up buying stuff you don't need.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, the milk jugs weren't on the list, but they were needed. We have been looking for the right sized ones for ages, but baulk at the prices.

      Delete
  5. Once you load up with new stuff, you still have to decide what to do with the old stuff. Utter rubbish can be thrown in the bin, I suppose, but most stuff is a bit oldfashioned rather than true tat.

    Put the stuff in boxes out on the nature-strip with a note saying "help yourself"?
    Donate to your favourite charity (eg RSPCA. as you suggested)?
    Sell on ebay? Hardly worth the effort
    Regift? hmmm I don't think so.

    I have been thinking about this a lot since mid December when I went mad clearing out my study. Three weeks later I still have 250 good books sitting in my laundry in piles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books?? Fiction? Titles please? Send them to me....not all at once though, my mailbox isn't house sized.

      Delete
    2. What we don't want Hels goes to Mother's for her garage sale, except I don't think she will have another. I've done things like put stuff out with a note on it. Our building has a small library, very useful for ridding ourselves of books.

      Delete
    3. River

      Not a novel to be seen, I am afraid. Just Australian and European history and art history books, in excellent condition.

      Ahhh 310 books now.

      Delete
  6. EEK!
    Bloody Chaddy!
    Tres horrid, cannot stand the place - if I *have* to go I march (with the spouse) to the store I want and leave immediately and I always congratulate myself for not strangling anyone in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I usually avoid it, but not this time. Apart from getting lost, it wasn't too bad. It has change a lot since I went to the opening in '64.

      Delete
  7. We don't have any boxing day in Belgium, but "Sales" twice a year, regulated by law !!! I wrote about this today. I didn't buy anything .... so far ! It lasts until end of month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about that Gattina. Sales are regulated but not shopkeepers putting prices up to reduce them.

      Delete
  8. Watch out for the steak knives. As soon as you are properly used to them, they'll suddenly nick your fingers....ha ha.
    What is that brown stain on your cream milk jug? And the grey on the sides? i couldn't live with that. I'd be soaking it in a Steradent solution.
    I've never been to Chadstone, but now I'm curious and want to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great care with knives always River. I put my coffee cup in the upper dishwasher rack and it wasn't really empty, so it is black coffee on the jug. It will wash off.

      Delete
  9. Even Hugh the service was shite... The cafe looked nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it was super trendy, but very created trendy, which doesn't work well in inner Melbourne, but may where this one is located.

      Delete
  10. Dam automatic spell check
    Hugh should read though

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the plastic steamer. We've got one of the metal ones; the plastic looks much easier to wash. Maybe I'll have to drop ours, too. As for Chadstone, it sounds like the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I had my 19th nervous breakdown in that place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I was going to say you are never in the kitchen, but I seem to recall you do the cleaning up. It is like any large shopping mall in the world, characterless.

      Delete
  12. Dumb question. Why doesn't the plastic steamer melt when you are using it? A new kind of plastic?
    Argh, I love the blue pitcher you threw out. This is how lame I am -- I would add a bit of blue nail polish to the chip and use it for flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I am impressed that you have blue nail polish, I think. It is made of some kind of hardened silicone plastic. For a while there used to be cake and muffin pans that were made of a soft silicon and quite floppy. I don't think they were a success. If we end up with a puddle of plastic in a pot, I will take a photo.

      Delete
  13. I did the boxing day thing, it was horrendous. I went to Chadstone today, I had to consult one of those electronic map things. It didn't work. I wasn't impressed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I just used the paper map, but it wasn't very user friendly. I did see the screens, but in my experience, by the time you work them out, you can be at the shop by instinct.

      Delete
    2. The only instinct I have at Chaddy is to run away, so using it is pointless.

      Delete