Friday, January 03, 2014

A Siemens Journey

Melbourne has fewer Siemens trains than any other type so consequently I have not been on one too often. I caught one earlier in the week though. It is our only train that is completely walk through without doors, so you can see from one end of the train to the next. There is always the odd people who for some reason seem to need to walk through the train. I can understand it if they are looking for a seat, but otherwise, I think it is strange and without exception people who do it look strange in themselves.

He well may have been a handsome young man but I wish he had sat elsewhere and not next to me. For mine I would ban eating and drinking on public transport. He was noisily eating a banana, which is quite a feat, and he had a cold. Sniff, sniff, chomp chomp, saliva-ish mouth noises, sniff sniff, chomp chomp, saliva-ish mouth noises. Revolting.

Between his eating habits and his head cold and watching the disturbing movements of the link between carriages, I was feeling quite ill.

Sandown Park? As if you'd find me near Sandown Park. I was at Hughesdale and it should have said Next Station Murrumbeena. The train seemed a little confused and remained so until I left at South Yarra, displaying The Next Station is Huntingdale as we zoomed through the ATH stations.




17 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Your descriptions of the individual sitting beside you have made me feel ill in sympathy. I am v glad that eating and drinking ARE banned on our buses. No trains. And would like to ban sniffers too. Particularly those with juicy head colds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you totally. Eating on public transport looks horrible, sounds worse and creates a filthy mess for the cleaners.

      Citizens cannot drop litter in the streets without consequences. So why can train travellers?

      Delete
    2. EC, excellent that food and drink are banned on buses. I just do not understand why it is allowed here. Maybe you don't see many there, but here we see quite a number of people wearing masks, to protect others.

      Train and tram travellers Hels. I hate it. People need to sit to sit down to eat, at some sort of table or proper seat, and not eat on public transport or as they walk along the street.

      Delete
    3. I've just remembered one of our High School rules, if we were caught eating while walking along the street in uniform, or on public transport, also in uniform, there was some sort of punishment involved, but I don't remember what exactly, perhaps a week of litter pick up or some sort of detention. I do know that no one ever was caught in the years I was there. Rules were obeyed in those days.

      Delete
    4. River, generally we did obey rules but why? Why did we not answer back? Why didn't we question?

      Delete
  2. That's why I only travel in non peak hours I like to sit alone when I can.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was off peak, but people do like to sit facing forward, even preferring to sit next to someone rather that sit facing backwards. Bah!

      Delete
  3. I would have moved to 3 carriages away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM, I thought he would get off at the next station, or the next, but he didn't. You are right. I should have moved.

      Delete
  4. ERK, how revolting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the look of that shifting bit in the video, looks very unsafe. Surely there's a better way to install it? Articulated buses have a circular piece set in to the floor, it just revolves as the bus turns, much smoother.
    Some people should never eat in public, whether on trains or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, perhaps all trains move like that. Our other brand train bought at the same has that part hidden. I agree though, it does look unsafe. Imagine if it was a packed train, and we often have them, and you were standing there.

      Generally, I don't like eating in public. Eat in eating places or at home, or at least on a bench seat somewhere.

      Delete
  6. I always seem to get on these trains. I do not like the new voice over lady, she's too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, with the defective internal display, the speaking lady was not working and I cannot remember what she sounded like on previous trips. I liked the female auto announcements at Flinders Street years ago. She was nice.

      Delete
  7. Even gorgeous people look dreadful eating a banana, it's one of those fruits best devoured in private :) Sounds like the trip went downhill fast after this masticating disaster Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it rather depends on how the banana is eaten. Some can do it with style and élan, some not.

      Delete