Monday, January 20, 2014

A pleasant meal out

Sometimes when you dine out it can be ok, but Saturday night was a meal out with friends that worked really well. We began at dog Jack's owner's Mum's place in Carnegie for drinks and nibbles with her girlfriend and the Brighton Antique Dealer. A week's visit by Jack to the Highrise has been scheduled for March 11.

I don't know why, but our dyke friend insisted we park on eastern side of the railway line at Ormond and walk through the subway to Ormond Thai. I recommend the small restaurant. The food was good, the service very good and the prices were reasonable..........if only they had turned the air-con on. It was too hot for us foreigners. Unlike many most Thai restaurants, it is run by ethnic Thais and not Vietnamese.

Our Brother Friends sat at one end of the table and R at the other, so there was no friction or discomfort. The late Dame M's Boarder attended and amused us with phone photos of his alter ego Jasmine. On Dame M's deathbed, she wrote a cheque for the boarder for $25000 to buy a new car to replace his 1980 Ford Laser, and some seven years later, he finally has, with a very smart Ford Kuga. He retold us about his old Laser's five week holiday. It went missing and he reported it to the police. Five weeks later he received a call from the police to inform him that they had cleared out the people who were living in it and it was at the back of the National Theatre in St Kilda. 

Brighton Antique Dealer and myself were outside in the cooling breeze. I snapped this atrocious development. How could council possibly approve its construction, or was it the evil VCAT at work again.




22 comments:

  1. It's great when you find a good restaurant but I too like air conditioning when eating spicy food.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with me drinking red wine Merle, I get extra hot.

      Delete
  2. The development is grotesque. The sort that you probably have to live in - so you don't look at it.
    And snap on the need for air conditioning. I didn't realise that many Thai restaurants are run by Vietnamese, but it may not be true here. I will investigate. And like both cuisines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, sometimes I feel bad about criticising residential buildings. After all, it is home for some people, but you are correct, better to live there so you don't have look at it. I like both cuisines too, with a slight preference for Vietnamese.

      Delete
  3. I love good Thai restaurants. Well actually I've only been to one but it was so very good. I think the others I have been to were run by Vietnamese. I would like to find one here in Portland that is not too pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I should think there are a number in such a sophisticated city.

      Delete
  4. I guess one blessing is that they have kept the tree out the front (although I bet that wasn't the developer's choice!) I don't know why more attention isn't paid to the side or back fences that face onto major roads like this. There is such a narrow strip of land between the fence and the road that you can't see how it will ever be able to be screened by trees. It will look just like this in ten, twenty years time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RJ, yes, it could be saved by disappearing behind foliage. It looks shabby already. In twenty years its state can't be imagined.

      Delete
  5. "...ethnic Thais, not Vietnamese."
    How do you tell the difference? I'm clueless when it comes to specific Asian regions.
    That building doesn't look too bad, there's worse out there. And there are trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I can usual tell the difference by their voices and at times their looks. They were very Thai, confirmed by our friends saying a couple of Thai words to them.

      Yes, there are worse buildings, some still being built, but that particular one stood out very much in its surrounds.

      Delete
  6. Interesting what you say about Vietnamese-run Thai restaurants. It seems most of the ones I've been to have been the same. I hadn't realized.

    Different colors on different surfaces might help that shoebox construction project. And landscaping. How sad.

    I had a good time trying to figure out "dog Jack's owner's Mum's place in Carnegie."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it doesn't seem to make the food any different, wherever the cook, staff and owners are from.

      Yes, I did phrase that rather badly, but I wanted to make sure people knew it is a dog, but then they would know as people generally don't have owners. I'll just shut up.

      Delete
  7. I can't believe I've never had Thai food in my life. I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, tom yum soup is something I can't go without for more than a month. Nearly all Asian restaurants seem to have their own version.

      Delete
  8. I like Thai ! We have a few restaurants here in Waterloo. They have to turn the heating on !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I have never experienced your kind of cold, and I don't really want to.

      Delete
  9. Is it really 7 years since Dame M passed away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I guessed. It will be six years, in March I think.

      Delete
  10. There's a couple of similar developments to that one up the road, they're all just as ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, there are some even worse ones north of the river where you used to live.

      Delete
  11. I hope 2014 proves to be a good year for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry. The thoughts are returned to you.

      Delete