Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday Selections

Join River, Jackie and Elephant's Child in Sunday Selections. Here is my effort for the week.

What do you do when your car breaks down and you are waiting for help? You spread out your tartan picnic rug and catch some rays. The police kindly put out a couple of warning devices on the road.


I think a shotgun might be the best solution to noisy motor bikes. The police won't do anything. As was reported in this week's media, we were quite correct about the barricades around St Kilda Road Police Station and that motor bikes had been 'buzzing' the police station.


There must have been a better way to transport this. While it looks secure, it was madly swinging from side to side as the car travelled at 80 km/h along Nepean Highway. I thought it was going to burst.


It was a hot Sunday and three blokes worked in the sun until 6pm while installing some new air con. Yep chaps, if The Abbott has he way, you'll be doing this until you are seventy. I was at the surgery below two days later to have a skin cancer removed and still the air con wasn't working. The glories of ageing.


On my monitor the reflection colour is as it was a the time. Unusual.



More balcony wildlife. I am rather pleased with this shot. Now off you pop and find some aphids to eat from someone's roses, there's a good chap. And he/she flew away. Ummm, male ladybird?


Note to self, never again buy pale coloured towels. A two day soak and a hot water wash and they are improved, but not perfect.


Glorious gladdies. You like Red?


17 comments:

  1. Slaving at the coal face until we are 70? I don't think so.... Somebody will have to make Abbottoir hold down a real job first, rather than sitting on his behind and getting other people to do his hatchet work (pun intended).

    I started thinking about retirement at 60....too early to touch my superannuation but early enough to plan activities to replace paid work. The decision to work on will depend on good health, not on Abbottoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I certainly could not work to that age. I struggle now and I am not yet 60. You may well go on until you are 70 if you are fit and healthy.

      Delete
  2. I realise just how lucky I am to have been born in 1951. Don't remember much about rationing as it came to an end for most things in '53. The sixties were a great time to be a teenager. Jobs were plentiful in the 70s. Able to retire at 60 and at 61 received a freedom pass to travel on any form of transport(except aircraft!) in London for free plus buses anywhere in England for free. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE being retired. Sorry for gloating Andrew I just can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, you are not sorry for gloating. You are revelling in it. Yes, the fifties were a good time to be born. And we were still young enough to cope with technology.....up to a point.

      Delete
  3. Red gladdies always happy flowers.
    Pity he didn't have a picnic lunch.
    Great sunlight on buildings pics.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merle. Gladdies are one of my fave cut flowers.

      Delete
  4. Hubby used to work in airconditioning. Even though he owned his own business he often helped the subbies work on the roof to get the jobs done faster (before Xmas). In the end it was the cause of his latest heart problem and he retired early. Thank goodness for superan. Working until 70 pooh!! but I can see the reason not enough gen x to support the baby boomers, although most of them can support themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, that is a good example. I believe it is a bit of a government fear plan about there not being enough taxpayers to pay our pensions when we are old.

      Delete
  5. Abbot and his buddies won't have to work until 70 - it is just us flunkies at the coal face. And he has generously given Clive the opportunity to create a huge coal face for us to work at. Sorry, I am getting a bit bitter and twisted about our politics at the moment.
    I love your gladdies, and the balcony wild-life. The light on the buildings is special too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, who knows where The Abbot will take us. I think most sensible people are getting bitter and twisted about politics.

      Delete
  6. AWESOME RED!!! And your gladdies aren't bad either ...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red, there is the odd occasion when I can't trump a witty comment. This is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like being retired, but if the shoe factory hadn't moved overseas, I'd probably be happily working there still.
    I wonder if that circular thingy was tied to the roof of that car but not securely enough so it blew back in the wind. Hopefully they made it home with whatever it was. Love the gladdies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I reckon you would. No sign of your going back to work then?

      I think they would have made it home with the inflated thing. We followed it for quite some time and surely they pulled off the main road soon. Gladdies have now died and we have lilies.

      Delete
    2. They could double my wage and I wouldn't go back. What kind of life is retirement if you are too crippled from working to enjoy it?

      Delete
  9. I'll probably have to work til I'm 80!
    Those sunset shots are marvellous. There was a lovely sunset tonight.
    My Nanna's neighbour has bright red gladis like those, I was tempted to pinch them earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, that is good. You will be working to pay my pension. Yes, I did notice tonight's sunset. Flower theft is punishable by shotgun.

      Delete