Sunday, December 01, 2013

Sunday Seclections Nov 13

Random photos to share. River always has her Sunday Selections. Jackie does sometimes. Kath used to, but she has gone missing, as has billions of dollars from secret Swiss bank accounts. There may or may not be a connection. Forward all communication to Kath via the French Riviera.

A few photos from Mother's garden. She likes potted colour.


When I prune this rose, I am inclined to use bad words as it is very thorny. I thought it was an old wild rose, but I have seen them around in public spaces this year, so I guess it isn't 'wild'.


I don't recall Mother ever complaining that anyone stole her flowers in pots along the front fence. The passing youf certainly do damage to the fence though and once knocked down a brand new letter box.


The house is badly in need of maintenance but there  is reluctance among any of us to do anything much as it is unlikely Mother will be there for many more years and the house will probably be knocked down once it is sold.


The gusher wasn't stopping cars proceeding. One stopped under the jet for a quick car wash. The  tram I was waiting for arrived, having just driven through the the gusher with windows open. It was awash.


Success! Coffee chain Gloria Jeans, with links to the crank religious mob Hillsong, has closed in Malvern.


Vertical lines, horizontal lines, symmetry. Boring for some, but it is my preference.

 

The recipe said to cook the christmas cake for 2 1/2 hours. I checked it at about 1 hour 45 mins and it was burnt and dry. We thought we might cut the burnt top off and ice it, but no. It is too dry. Still, we are eating it. We still have enough fruit left to make another, the only real extra expense being another 250g of butter and four eggs. The fruit is soaking as I speak, not in brandy as last time but whiskey and more of it to keep the cake moist.


The suburbs begin to awake from their restorative slumber as the dawn rituals begin


but for us it is time for our own ritual, to close the blinds against the blindingly bright sun.


At the other end of the day the west wing of the apartment, my ensuited bedroom, is illuminated by the sun's dying rays.

24 comments:

  1. The West Wing; I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to it now Victor, but when we moved here, my bedroom seemed very far away and isolated.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever heard of injecting alcohol into the cake once cooked to ensure it remains moist or is that for those cakes made months in advance? I hasten to say I do not bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun 60, rather than inject, I normally baste it every few days with whiskey.

      Delete
  3. Gloria Jeans and a cultish organisation? Say it isn't so. Not that it matters, since their coffee would only appeal at airports and other rushed, crowded places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Hels. The coffee is vile and comes in a paper cup.

      "Peter Irvine, co-founder of Gloria Jean's, was executive director of Mercy Ministries until March 2008."

      "Two former directors of Mercy Ministries, Mark and Darlene Zschech, who brought the program to Australia from the US in 2001, have also been associate directors of the Hillsong Church's annual conference."

      There's a lot more.

      Delete
  4. Poor people in the car with the windows open guess they didn't need a shower that day.I've only made one xmas cake and you could have played football with it, so I soaked it in something I think it was Cherry Brandy added cream, nuts and ice cream and called it desert but it still was awful.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was the tram that got wet inside, not any car. A Lions Club christmas cake for you then. Actually, they are quite good.

      Delete
  5. I love your mother's garden. I too am in the throes of Christmas cake making. Seven so far, and about the same to come. And we have never cooked them for a fraction of the time the recipe suggests. I water them (with rum or brandy) after they come out of the oven. Which means they are definitely not dry... The cake you have when you are having a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I have made many in the past, on my own. This one was a joint production and I was less inclined to trust my instinct. I think this new one will be better. Last night we had tips from a retired priest who makes about two dozen each year.

      Delete
  6. Baking time for cakes depends very much on the type and size of cake tin you are using. I fusing the same tin this time, I'd suggest testing the cake at 45-50 minutes, if it needs more time, cover the top with foil to prevent burning. In years past, Christmas cakes were cooked in deep tins with paper up the sides well above the tin to protect the top of the cake.
    I like your mother's garden, things in pots is much easier than digging holes and planting. I need to get busy with my mince pies, didn't even do the test batch this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, as per the comment above, they were two pieces of advice we received last night. Brown paper, not oven paper, keep it high and cover with foil for some of the time.

      Only the 1st December. Still time to make a test batch.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a cook but a friend gave me a Christmas cake recipe and it is always moist. It has a can of crushed pineapple in it. I can email it if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, but I think we will be ok now. I have used various recipes over the years but I have not come across one with pineapple in it before. I think you would reduce the sugar to compensate for the extra sweet fruit.

      Delete
  8. Good on you for attempting the cake. I'm not a huge fan of fruit cake so don't bother. Might do some rum balls if I get time. Or inclination. Love that sunrise pic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fen. Someone in what is almost a past life used to make rum balls. It has been a long time since I have had them. No one else mentioned the sunrise photos and I thought they were rather good. Oh, I am sounding needy.

      Delete
  9. Your comment about Kath and the missing Swiss millions made me laugh! I do miss her blog though.
    That thorny rose is beautiful - gorgeous colour and sprawl.
    Passing youf damage our fence too - suspiciously a few extra palings go missing or wonky every couple of months.
    Love that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Jackie, she was a good read. Exactly what happens to Mother's fence.

      Delete
  10. Equally astonished about the Hillsong /Gloria Jeans connection. No matter, tried a local GJs once and the options were so complicated that the person "serving" me got huffy about waiting for me to work it out. I left.

    I'm very disappointed both for you and with you about that cake. Tips noted, thank you River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, we don't cry over a spoilt cake. The next will be fine. If it isn't, you won't hear about it.

      Delete
  11. I love the vibrant colors in her garden. Absolutely beautiful. We're a few months away from those vibrant colors here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Quite a few months, I should think.

      Delete
  12. I'm not sure if I'd take any tips from a retired priest Andrew :)) Gloria Jean's closing is certainly no great loss as you say..paper cups eww! I love that you're still eating the cake even though it's awful, I would do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, his name hasn't appeared in the paper, so I guess he is ok. I wouldn't call the cake awful, just a bit dry.

      Delete