Saturday, December 28, 2013

Shocking Wind

It is just nature taking its course. Nothing to do with our food consumption over christmas.

I was up to get ready for work by 5.30 this morning. It was a delightful morning, not cold but a gentle cool breeze was blowing from the south west. The outdoor temperature was 15.

By about 3pm, it was hot, with the temperature risen to 37 degrees. What a contrast to the morning when I could scarcely believe it would get so hot today.

A gusty cool change hit at 4pm. The temperature dropped 10 degrees in minutes. 

Silly Fen was at the beach and had her ears filled with sand, and god knows what other orifice. 

We are now experiencing wind like I don't remember. Weather does not usually penetrate the High Rise, but it certainly is tonight.

Twitter told me tram routes 8, 64 and 109 have been disrupted by falling branches on tram wires and I think one train line was knocked out for a time.


12 comments:

  1. We had gale force winds here last week, branches blew off trees, whole trees blew down, one onto a car, it lasted for a couple of days.
    I hope Fen was wearing sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is still windy here this morning. I hope it does not last two days.

      Delete
  2. We've had sporadic winds here. A glorious few days followed by building-shaking winds followed by brilliant sunshine. But obviously not 37 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it sounds as variable there as it is here.

      Delete
  3. The wind has been howling through each evening for a while here. Trees and branches have come down, and then it calms down again. Till the next night.
    Like small children, wind makes me a irritable and tetchy. We had a cat who ran up a tree on a windy day and bit it. And I knew how he felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I too get irritated by the wind. Cats are very visibly annoyed by wind, so I have noticed.

      Delete
  4. The weather is crazy at the moment you can have the four seasons in one day.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good name for a song, Merle, haha.

      Delete
  5. Been windy here too! It was hard to concentrate on tai chi on Friday night because the windows were rattling so hard, I thought they'd blow in. Didn't bother venturing out yesterday in blizzard conditions. Today looks ok though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, does snow ever settle on the sand at the beach? Remember the nice beach we went to where you now live? Hard to imagine it having snow.

      Delete
  6. Haha I washed my hair this morning & got another beach load of sand out of it! I do love lying in the waves when it's windy, let's face it, bay waves aren't very big.

    My yard looked like a bomb went off this morning. I used to have a neat collection of cardboard & polystyrene from my bed packaging. It was strewn from one end to the other!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, your vacuum cleaner is going to rattle when you suck up the sand.

      I imagine there is rather a lot of packaging for a bed.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.