Sunday, December 01, 2013

Just another Sunday

It is many months since I have spoken to our friend who lives at the base of Mount Elephant in Victoria's western district. He is approaching eighty and suffering from life style induced health issues. Welcome to my world.

Australian born, he lived for many years in London until Australians were no longer welcome and he was chucked out. He spent some time in Amsterdam and then returned to Australia. He was not connected with his family but he was quite ok when I met him through work related circumstances. He lived in suburban Armadale then. He retired with some money and moved to the small country town as described above. The house he bought was once a bakery. He turned it into a plant nursery which was almost successful financially, until his grand visions petered out. Just because you can identify 100 English roses and name all the best English gardens does not mean you are a good business person.

We used to visit him, but his house was becoming so run down and he run down too, it became too hard for us. The last time we visited we were served a wonderful meal, at about 10.45pm. I was so drunk, being used to have pre dinner drinks from six until a meal is served. R was not much better. Our friend functions on alcohol. He drinks wine from about midday until he goes to bed, yet it is very measured drinking and he functions, albeit very slowly as the day goes on.

I called him this morning and there was no answer. I thought the worst. But another try this afternoon got results. He is fine and sounds quite well with no serious issues apart from nearly dead legs. He has two old hand me down electric wheelchairs and is about to get a brand new one from State social services.

He is on a Federal Home Care Package and does quite well from it.

I was not looking forward to today. I am not much of one for seafood, but somehow we were at Lobster Cave in Beaurmaris, with five other people. I so did not want to be there. I needed some time on my own. R then asked if we could go to DFO in Moorabin. I said yes, but I felt unwell after a huge lunch. It was kind of good in that we cleaned up some christmas things. But the weather was hot and the water cooling air con at DFO was inadequate. I spend a good bit of time sitting on the 'husband while wife is shopping' seats.

We had been out to dinner the night before too, after I worked all day. R made a magnanimous gesture and called the ex Brother Friends who are back in Australia for a few months before returning to Thailand. If you remember, R had a falling out with them. They are now apparently our friends again and they were at dinner. Blokes, who can understand them. Our Malaysian friend Manny is in town and he was there for dinner last night and today he sent a text to join him for dinner at Crown on Wednesday night. Next Saturday, Little Jo may visit. Next Sunday is ABI Brother's birthday lunch.

I am sorry if you are lonely and have no one, but the thought of it rather appeals to me at the moment.

14 comments:

  1. Mount elephant? I've learned something. You're brave going to the shops. I don't dare from here on in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty interesting history to it Fen. DFO wasn't too bad.

      Delete
  2. It has been a very busty? [freudian typo?] BUSY weekend here at Fkn. Nice to see people but... have been running around like a headless hen since the last lot left.

    If only others would plan their lives around our calendars: "Congratulations, I hear you are getting married! I will be free to attend a wedding the 3rd week of July in 2015... shall we pencil that in?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, the lack of time is always our enemy, but I expect if we had more of it, we would soon use it.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes feel as you do. Social and family pressures can be overwhelming sometimes, but I suppose it's better to have the option of being alone than simply being alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mitchell, I remind myself of that and try not to stress over small things.

      Delete
  4. I'm so with you on that one Andrew.. anytime I can get to myself is bliss! You have had a very busy time of it lately, you need a quiet weekend watching old movies and reading.. as if that's going to happen hey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Grace, that won't happen. I struggle to sit down and concentrate for long anyway.

      Delete
  5. Alone time is not only bliss, I find it a necessity. Which is a substantial part of why I get up early.
    Glad that your friend was ok(ish). It must have been such a relief when he answered the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I agree, get up early and things do get done. Yes, it was a relief. I don't know how much longer he can stay in his own home.

      Delete
  6. I like a good mixture friends, family and some alone time.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Merle, it just the proportions are a bit wrong for me at the moment.

      Delete
  7. I love my alone time, but I seem to spend a lot of it sleeping, so it's sort of wasted. If I didn't have to be somewhere every day this next week I'd be okay, but what takes up so much time is waiting around at bus stops, by the time I get home from anywhere, I just fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, sleep is good, it rejuvenates the body, helps with healing and you won't wear your body out if you are asleep.

      Delete