Friday, December 27, 2013

A Tease Across the Tasman Sea

I expect it goes on between the English, Irish, Scottish and the Welsh. Probably between the French and an adjacent country. Indonesia and Malaysia do it, as does Malaysia with Singapore. In Australia, the country we love to insult is New Zealand. Most of us are rather fond of our little neighbour and I think they are quite fond of 'Western Island'. There are enough of them living, so they must like us. Btw, Victor is swanning around NZ at the moment and swanning across the seas.

I found this hardware store advertisement from New Zealand amusing. To save you having to watch it twice to really get it, the boy at the end in the green and yellow is Australian.


18 comments:

  1. Oh dear them is fighting words, but pretty true.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I so don't want a haka performed on me.

      Delete
  2. She'll be right, mate. Good ad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, it always is alight, isn't it? Maybe not.

      Delete
  3. What a hoot. Thank you for this gem. And sadly, far too many men I know 'think' that do it yourself is in their DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, when men are young and full of bravado, they are experts at diy. Somehow they lose some confidence as they age. You whistle and I will point, in a rather personal direction.

      Delete
  4. I almost never watch ads, on tv, radio or newspapers, but that is very nicely done. There is something extremely appealing about giving normal adult conversations and body postures to young children. As long as the children take themselves seriously, and don't fall about laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hels, it was good acting on the kids' parts. I hope it hasn't marred their lives.

      Delete
  5. LOL
    "You're gammin!"
    Classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, some parts of broad Kiwi speak are incomprehensible to me.

      Delete
  6. The welsh don't have a sense of humour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes all kinds John. They can sing and mine coal quite well.

      Delete
  7. that is SO CUTE!!!! And probably true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I just thought it was funny. I realised I could analyse it and read a lot into it, but I did not.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Pleased you as a foreign born found it funny. Often Aussie humour does not translate well to the foreign types. :-P

      Delete
  9. :) for the video clip and :)) for the discussion.

    ReplyDelete