Saturday, November 09, 2013

Waterfront City

Remember in Sunday Selections I showed you how my doona cover was coming apart? We thought we would visit Waterfront City at Docklands to see if there might be something appropriate and cheap. The shop was shut.

But first we went to look at some classic cars at the Exhibition Buildings. It was a fully paid event, so the best I could do was peer over a fence at a delightful P5 Rover. Opposite the event is what is known as The Engine House, an old cable tram engine house that ceased to operate when the last cable tram line in Melbourne closed in 1940. It has had a variety of other public transport uses and I believe it's still owned by the government.


On the opposite corner is Royal Terrace, a row of ten houses built in 1854. They are holding up well.


Now this is more like Docklands.


It wasn't unpleasant there, as it often is if it is hot, cold or windy.


Gold.


Is the purple hue a trick of the eyes? I don't know.


Our large and broken and very embarrassing ferris wheel is nearly ready to rotate again. Well there was that time a while ago when someone forgot to secure it and it started up with the force of the wind.


Cold, cool, getting warmer, getting warm, hot, red hot.



11 comments:

  1. That Royal Terrace looks very English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does look very English Victor. It faces the hot western sun and has no upper verandahs or much in the way of sun protection.

      Delete
  2. A great comparison of old and new buildings. TOH would love to see the cable house. We visited the still working cable house in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, the interior has been modernised many times. There is little original inside. I remember when you were in San Fran and the cable trams and that amazing twisting road with garden beds.

      Delete
  3. Cheap and bedlinen do not belong in the same sentence. Unless you plan on buying new several times a year as the cheap stuff wears out. Buy the best quality you can afford.
    The 1854 Terrace Houses look to be very well maintained. I'd love to get a look inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, Waterfront City, and I should have mentioned it, is a place for seconds, so good brand names, at cheap prices. Except there were none. Was it you who suggested stitching it up? I am going to do that. Well, maybe me. I don't think I am good at fine stitching. I will take it to one of the alteration places. It and the pillows slips cost over $200. It will be money well spent.

      Delete
    2. Then Waterfront City is like our Harbor Town, seconds shops. I'd imagined you were going to places similar to Cheap As Chips which are rejects, one or two steps down from seconds. I bought a couch throw from a Reject Shop once, it was supposed to be burgundy, but after one wash it was an awful muddy brown and started losing threads at an alarming rate. Getting your doona covered repaired is a much better option, ask if perhaps the seams can be reinforced at the same time, perhaps with some binding inside where it won't show.

      Delete
  4. Very nice series of shots, I do like the Royal Terraces Andrew..you neglected to mention whether you found a replacement doona cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the shop was shut. I have decided to mend or have mended the doona.

      Delete
  5. The purple hued building looks the same from the Bolte direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be purple then. What a mish mash Cocklands is.

      Delete