Monday, November 18, 2013

Ownership of Harrods

R doesn't break me up too often, but he did as we were perusing fine food in David Jones. We looked at all the jams, teas, coffees, marmalades, mustards, Indian pastes and English relishes. There is even an area for American food.

Nearly everything we looked at seemed to be priced at $14. It is not a place to do your daily shopping. Nevertheless, it was a very busy place.

We were weighing up the prices of Fortnum and Masons fine peel cut breakfast marmalade as against Harrods breakfast marmalade.

We bought neither, but R clearly expressed his opinion. "I don't think I want the Arab jam". Ok, you probably had to be there at the time but it was funny. R is in a period of low moods so it was nice to have a bit of a laugh.

6 comments:

  1. So which one is the Arab jam? The Harrods? I rarely buy marmalade anyway, it's just too hard to find a decent fine shred or no shred marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River, the Harrods. Owned by the family of Princess Diana's lover. I'm with you. I don't want marmalade with large chunks of peel. I may just get a jar of Fortnum's fine peel.

      Delete
    2. What about a homemade jar of very finely sliced cumquat marmalade? [A dash of whisky optional]

      Sorry R is having some lows. I'd suggest he cheer up, except he has probably already thought of that.

      Delete
    3. That marmalade sounds perfect FC. Have you made some? Please send me some.

      Yes, cheer up does not work. It is a process to go through that can last from 2 days to 3 weeks.

      Delete
  2. I'm very particular about my marmalades, some are far far too bitter or far too sweet. I haven't been in the food hall of DJ's for years, I used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to window shop Fen. One day I will buy something there.

      Delete