Sunday, November 24, 2013

19th Century London

Pinch me. I need to be reminded this is 2013 not 1913. Some years ago I heard that trains in India were being retro fitted with human waste retention tanks, rather than the waste going straight out onto the train tracks. I am not sure what progress has been made.

I am of an age where I can remember our country trains not having toilet retention tanks. You could peer down the toilet bowl at the train tracks below and see the bluestone track bed rushing past. There were signs in the toilets requesting that you did not use the toilet while the train was at a station. This is the type of sign that was to be seen in Australian trains.


While London's Tube train service may be the envy of many countries and people, how sophisticated is England's rail system? Not too advanced, it would seem, as trains dump human waste onto the train tracks at one of London's major stations, Liverpool Street. Yes, you read that correctly. This is happening in the first world in 2013. Extraordinary! I don't want to come back in my next life as railway track worker in London. To make it worse, this happens in a covered area, so weather has little effect in breaking down the solids. Unbelievable. Short article here.

For no good reason, here is a photo of the rather nice looking Liverpool Street Station from www.edinphoto.org.uk.

14 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to read that it is only in the next few weeks that London's underground begins 24 hour services - but only on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It closes down quite early Victor. I think Sydney's trains run a good bit later that Melbourne's, or is that your buses. Our trams run later on Fri/Sat nights and there are all night buses that follow train lines.

      Delete
  2. crime would be reduced if there was a curfew on everybody.
    Cinderella, pumpkin, midnight. bad things always happen at 1:30am (ref Jill Meagher murder).

    On the Frankston line friday nights drunk passenger just wedge the doors open and relieve themselves while the train is moving. (I saw this in 1992).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, as we are now past our teen years, we probably agree that venues should close at midnight. Yes, bad things happen in the AM hours.

      I think now, don't quote me, the train will stop if doors are forced open.

      Delete
  3. waste on the tracks?? note to self, do not go to London....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London is brilliant River, in spite of that station. How can this happen?

      Delete
  4. Nice photo of Liverpool St Station!

    And have a look at King's Cross Station as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have followed its reconstruction and we will use it next year, and St Pancras.

      Delete
  5. Merde! Interesting reading Andrew..who knew! That's going to make for an interesting debate oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merde being the word Grace. Funny, it doesn't sound like a bad word in French.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't believe that about the trains at Liverpool St in this day and age. Fortunately this does not happen on the stations I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Fun60, and make sure you keep away from Liverpool Street. It really is surprising. I wonder what will happen.

      Delete
  7. Good god, I'd have never believed it in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London Jayne. How can it be in 2013?

      Delete