Thursday, October 10, 2013

The News in Brief

ABC Local Radio used to have news in brief on the hour when there wasn't a major bulletin due. It was called the News in Brief and went for maybe three minutes. It had a very different musical theme to the Majestic Fanfare or the briefer version of MF that is used for minor news bulletins. It was known in house as Tarzan's Theme.

News in brief from home. R mostly works three days a week but this is his four day week, that is the Thursday Mother Day when he takes her out. It did not go so badly. Her complaining was minimal and she dissed Sister at every opportunity, which made R happy.

How very dare our neighbours move? They are rich people of Hong Kong origin. The bought and moved into the building even before the hot water was working and slept on the floor for the first couple of nights. We don't know their names but we always have nice chats with them when we meet. We have seen the son change from a gangly 11 year old kid into a handsome 22 year old man. Of course they don't owe us an explanation, but we are surprised and unreasonably feel annoyed. R has searched the net hard and there is no sign of them renting their place out or it being sold.

A friend was in Cambodia last month. He sent us a post card from Siem Reap where the Angkor Wat temples are. Last week when we saw him, he said a post card he sent had just arrived in the US. Ours and other ones he sent to Australia arrived today, 10/10, sent 05/09. Even re-routed via Austria, as our overseas mail often is, it is a long time for a mail delivery.

You may remember I renewed my driving licence. Today the new one arrived in the post. I compared my old photo to my new photo. I don't think I have aged that much but I seem to have gone from having a long face to a round face. Matches your guts, as R ever so kindly put.

13 comments:

  1. Mail really became snail mail ! I have sent a Christmas card in an envelope mid December to Boston. My friend got it beginning February. I could have brought it personally if I could walk on water !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is bad Gattina. It should be much better between first world countries.

      Delete
  2. "How very dare our neighbours move? They are rich people of Hong Kong origin. The bought and moved into the building even before the hot water was working .... We don't know their names but we always have nice chats with them when we meet."

    Two interesting points. Unless the neighbours are awful people, mostly we hate it when they move. It is disrupting and we have to start over again with the new lot.

    Also it is interesting that in the 11 years they were in your building, you didn't know their names. In the 1950s, 60s and 70s, you would have known their names, their children, their grandparents, whether they drank tea or coffee etc etc Things have changed, and not necessarily for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hels, yes, I don't want new neighbours. I am creature of habit and stability.

    I don't really want to know neighbours as well as you describe. It was fine to have a 25 second chat when were in the lift. Only a couple of times did the chats get interesting. She does Latin dancing! They were not inquisitive and nor were we. Not like our other neighbours who are not from HK but the mainland. They love to see into our place through the door and oh and ahh at our simple modern furnishings and views. "You have three bedrooms?!" Common, but perhaps a good bit richer than we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh R is good with mother isn't he, I hope you suitable treasure him Andrew! Do you not know your neighbours well enough to say HOW DARE YOU ;)) Oh don't talk about aging..it's my birthday today and I feel ancient :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do treasure him Grace. As on your blog, happy birthday. You are in fine fettle.

      Delete
  5. That's all very nice but what about the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victor, it is Melbourne so it is of course fine and sunny. We don't need it confirmed all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually keep to myself so have never known any of my neighbours very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the past River when you had young children? We haven't known neighbours well for a long time. It can be good and not so good.

      Delete
  8. Ha ha matches your guts. Sans scar!
    I got worried when a moving van arrived opposite me, but it was just picking up some stuff stored from the sister apparently. Phew. My neighbours are quiet and polite (although I just noticed Asian neighbour has scratched the front half of my car with his bin, not sure how to broach that one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, fortunately sans scar. Tell him to gets some car polish and see if he can get polish it out.

      Delete
    2. ha ha ha you're talking about a guy who spray painted his car with a can of spray paint. I'll just leave it I think!!

      Delete