Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday Selections and The Caulfield Cup

River regularly has her Sunday Selections. I, not always. I use Sunday Selections to post a mix of photos that haven't been used elsewhere. These are mostly phone photos.

However, I will interrupt with some other writing. I did not know that yesterday was the Caulfield Cup, an important horse race here, until I saw all the men and women in their finery. I love the mornings of Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup week where everyone who attends dresses up.

What I don't like are the after effects of good day out. Half of the attendees just go home, dignity intact, a quarter of the remains leave and seemed wired to continue to party on well into the night and the next morning. The last quarter are slovenly, pathetically and disgustingly drunk. They have vomit down their suits, they have pissed themselves, they find that gutters are a great place to sit and the blokes are even worse.

While I can hardly stand on a soap box and criticise, it is a bit sad that their last memories of the day will be where they passed out.

Later edit: No, it was the Caulfield Cup. That is next weekend.

As Autumn arrived in southern Australia, it became Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. It proved to be an ok summer in the Northern Hemisphere.


My late Step Father had an image of this woman in a print on the lounge room wall. Mother hated it. It is hardly appropriate for a lounge room. As soon as he was he dead, Mother removed it.


What is this arched opening at  ground level for? Please tell me if you know, or suggest something. Wood storage?


No, not a trendy inner suburban hotel in Melbourne, but at the Royal Hotel in Queanbeyan.



 Looking down at the garden of the building next door to the Highrise.


I am not keen on roses as flowers for home, but these worked well enough.


An elm tree is removed. They are old and sick, so City of Melbourne tells us. I am not so sure.


In front of the building across Kingsway, this renovated garden looks quite ok.

 

I have made it quite clear in the past that I am not keen on horses. Nothing has changed. Nevertheless, Bush Babe's son Dash has lost his horse Pickles. Your heart does not melt when you see them in this photo? Bless.

19 comments:

  1. Great photos, Andrew. About the arch under the entrance, I think it is just an opening to provide ventilation under the house. Love your new template.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will. Yes, I think it must be ventilation. It's not attractive though.

      Delete
  2. It was the Guineas yesterday no? Lovely day for it, not so nice today :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was Fen. Not so nice for a family picnic today. It didn't happen.

      Delete
  3. Maybe it was a doggie door for lizards and snakes but i think most likely for ventilation.
    Merle......... .......... ........

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nephew, an impoverished university student, works as a waiter on weekends. The financial highlight of his waiting career is Caulfield Cup Week where the waiters have to be better dressed, better trained and longer working than in any other week of the year. What a shame some of the guests don't behave as well as the young staff do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have no agreement with people when they say waiting staff are not good in Australia. Generally I think they are excellent and again arbitration has decided they deserve penalty rates for working unsociable hours, and they do.

      Delete
  5. I love the photos looking down from up high. You can see such a lot from up high.
    That horse photo is beautiful. I love horses from a watchable distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jackie, not that I look directly down too often. I start to think bad things.

      I am not keen on horses, but I admire their abilities.

      Delete
  6. Nice horse photo. That ground level arched window suggests a basement or cellar, it looks as though the yard has been built up a bit so not more of the window can be seen. It looks a little small for wood storage and those openings are usually square anyway with a door attached. The renovated garden is quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I thought the ground looked a bit built up too. I will go for the ventilation but it is strange.

      Delete
  7. I do love horses but my heart would have melted either way. Sad when those old trees are removed, but usually it IS for good reason. Hope they're replacing it right away. Old trees are being removed regularly on our paseo and replaced with a different type. Unfortunately, it was simply lack of awareness 30 or 40 years ago. They had planted ficus trees with roots that destroy sidewalks and underground pipes. At least they're being immediately replace with something that should do better in the space. I do love city gardens. Yep, the ground-level arch looks like a basement window to me, as well. I'm using to seeing them fronted by what we call a "light well" dug into the ground in front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, yes ficus are killers for root problems. We don't normally have basements in Australia, or attics for that matter. It would be very unusual.

      Delete
    2. Mitchell; tree roots don't crack pipes. What happens is with ground movement an old clay pipe will crack, then moisture seeps out attracting any nearby tree roots which then grow towards the source and then enter the pipes causing further cracking and eventually growing thick enough to cause blockages. This is when the problem is discovered and people say the tree is at fault and must be removed. A better solution is to remove the cracked section of pipe and replace it with plastic pipe, then eventually replace the whole system, which is probably a better option in private yards than much larger public areas. Too costly for roadways what with traffic holdups etc.

      Delete
  8. I really love horse racing. Here in Central KY (we call it the horse capitol of the world lol) there are endless horse farms and I find them to be the most majestic creatures on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Keith, home to the famous Derby. I am not fussed on horses but yes, they can look magnificent.

      Delete
  9. Firstly ..a giant mousehole, secondly you don't like roses in the house?? Quelle horreur !!! and excuse me while I mop my melted heart off my new kitchen floor..how sad, but what a wonderful image to keep forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very large mouse, Grace. I don't like the sort of roses you buy for around the house. They are too 'correct'. Old roses picked from the garden would be very nice.

      Delete