Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Fed up with tech stuffs

Last week R managed to delete my and his work phone numbers from the home screen on his phone. I had a quick look and while I have shortcuts to phone numbers on my home screen, I could not remember how to do it. When we went out shopping on Saturday, R drove while I worked it out. Fixed.

At yesterday's party my step mother, who is in her seventies and does use the net and has a digital camera, handed me her camcorder that she had bought for Aldi. 'Can you work it out?', she asked. I could not. When record was pressed it said "card locked". The storage card is locked and I couldn't work it out, in spite of looking at the manual and googling on my phone. Fail.

Late Friday night. Oops. Why is the Windows Live Mail saying 'Do you wish to go online?' I have never been asked such a question in my life. I'll sleep on it. I am sure all will be well in the morning. It wasn't.

Email would not work the next morning. I called the Telstra chick in the Philippines. For good or bad, we have people in Australia with foreign accents, so you can't be too sure where they are until you get a giveaway line like, so how has your day been, at 7.30 in the morning. She was very helpful as she took control of our computer and looked about. She showed no horror at my entries into Firefox's address bar that pop up and when she was fishing in our webmail, she ignored subject line on dubious emails.

I think at some point she concluded that the bloke she was talking to knew a bit about being online and she kind of gave up, with the suggestion that nothing was amiss at their end and there was nothing left to do except I uninstall Windows Live Email and reinstall.

Yes, that may well fix it. I backed up emails and addresses. R, do you really need to keep 500 sent items in you email sent folder!

I did a little online research and then uninstalled the email programme. I downloaded the new version and opened it and there were all our emails. Back up was un-necessary but I wanted a clean install.

I clicked the button 'send/receive' and up popped 'Do you want to go online'. Slightly above mild panic sets in.

I have the disk for a complete Windows  reinstall. That means I start with a fresh computer, which is good in some ways, but so much work. I noticed earlier something else at the Microsoft website, a Windows Essentials repair button, which includes Windows Live Mail. No one more than me was more astonished when it fixed the problem. Do you want to go online disappeared and the email sent and received as usual. What a relief.

The importance of this is our isp email address. We have had it for years and that is where the day to day to stuff comes into and it is much faster to use than webmail.

Our cordless landline went wrong today. It always does that after its batteries have been flattened. When talking  to lass in the Phillipines for 40 minutes, the batteries were going flat and the phone was alerting me.

R's answer was a new phone. I said no, we will replace the batteries. We like our phone. It is neat. We called into Officeworks on the way to a friend's for a late lunch and bought six lithium batteries to replace the worn out rechargeable batteries. I should have googled before we bought them. They aren't suitable as a replacement for NIMH batteries. I had to take them back today and I bought the correct ones. $38 for six AAA batteries for two handsets. Still, cheaper than a new phone.

But I really do love that technology saves me so much time. Ahem.




15 comments:

  1. Try http://www.justanswer.com/digital-cameras/6ptww-does-memory-card-locked-mean.html for card locked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh, of course Victor. They are like floppy disks. How could I have been so dumb to forget that.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me. Have to go out, and TO has left her iPad on. After ten minutes gave up trying to work out how to turn it off. Must go plug it in to power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I guess you have to press and hold something.

      Delete
  3. There is a little movable bit on the memory card which 'locks' it if you flick the switch up. Just flick it back down/or side and you'll be right as rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, Step Mother is now many miles away. I sent her a text message. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. ^^ what they said. Little locky device bit, annoying if you forget about them!

    Tech stuff can be so tedious, but it's satisfying when you fix things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must say Fen, it is seldom anything beats me. Of course as you know, if I find something too hard, I hand it over to someone else.

      Delete
    2. Being able to delegate is wonderful :)

      Delete
  5. What Michael said re the camcorder. It's like the old floppy disks that had a similar feature.
    I've never used windows live mail, I don't like it. The window usually pops up when I'm using the "contact us" feature for a company I wish to email about something. I close the window and copy paste the email address into my regular email program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, if we were starting now, I doubt we would bother with it but so many people have our email address, it would be very difficult to start again with a new one, say gmail.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm with you. My brain hurts some times from the quirky things that I have to fix (and sometimes can't) on my home system. Then, my 86-year-old mother emails to tell me there's something wrong with her "computer _____" (fill in the blank with: email, search, type, sound, movies, picture, color, ink...)

    There was a time I thought Telex was the coolest thing I had ever seen. And don't even get me started on electric typewriters with balls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Mitchell, those golf ball typewriters were fun and no more tangling of keys. Telex, fax, they were amazing for their time.

      Delete
  7. This is why I wish I had been raised Amish lol. I am so easily stumped by technological stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, they do have it easy in some ways.

      Delete