Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Easey Street

It is always good to hear someone convicted of a heinous crime committed many years ago. No one has been convicted of the murder of ex Sis in Law's and Tradie Brother's foster daughter and her boyfriend but the word from the police is that he is already in gaol and won't talk. Unsolved.

I have written about three posts over the years about the murder of Sydney activist and heiress Juanita Neilsen and the posts received some really interesting and insightful comments. While it wasn't under his watch, I expect more may come out once a certain ex NSW Premier dies. Unsolved. Will Sydney ever move on from rum and rebellion?

Police want us to believe the killer of Adelaide's Beaumont children and schoolgirl Linda Stilwell at Melbourne's St Kilda Beach is now dead and died in custody while being punished for another crime. Maybe. Unsolved.

If you are a person of around my age and lived most of your life in Melbourne, Easey Street in Collingwood will have a great meaning to you. In 1977 it was the street where two women were murdered in their house and after a couple of days, neighbours heard the whimpering of one of women's hungry 16 month old son and called police. I have often wondered if the two women were in a same sex relationship, but no matter. Well, I hope it is not a matter that if they were, police did not investigate as well as they might have. Given the publicity at the time, I think it was probably a thorough investigation. Nevertheless, I think it is a crime that should have some serious modern resources thrown at. Unsolved.

I had to renew my car driving license in Carlton. After what was a much less painful experience that I thought it would be, we caught a bus from Lygon Street to Smith Street and walked down to Easey Street. It was not see the house of dead people, but to see a rather odd thing, train motor carriages atop an office building. Don't ask me why, as I don't know. It's a queer thing.


21 comments:

  1. Don't know anything about the murder
    But loved the roof top additions

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, we'll let the courts decide what you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never met anyone related to a murder in Australia before... I am so sorry for your family. What a nightmare it must have been.

    Adelaide's Beaumont children went missing in January 1966. Since every family in the nation spent the school holidays on the beach back then, it was an event that was more terrible and more personal than any other I have heard. It is still haunting now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See Hels, I am not as boring as you thought, well my family isn't. It was a hard time. She was actually Ex Sis in Law's niece.

    Yes, the Beaumont children seemed to have a huge impact on the psyche of Australians. We have technology and Big Brother to thank that this sort of crime rarely happens now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those trains on the roof fascinated me, so I did a search. "The design for the six-office development, End to End , by architecture firm ITN Architects, allows tenant access to the trains. Each of the six tenants will reportedly have half a train each, with access via an elevator from the basement. One of the carriages may be turned into an art gallery or a bar." Interesting concept.

    I can't imagine what your family has experienced regarding the murders. My heart is with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, probably what I should have done, that is some research.

      We have all moved on now. She was an ok kid, not bad, just a very free spirit.

      Delete
  6. Unsolved murders and disappearances must be a continuos nightmare for families, no closure, always wondering what happened. Not an experience I'd wish on anyone hey Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, not something to wish on anyone. Her father 'came out' and her mother remarried. She struggled.

      Delete
  7. We have many famous unsolved crimes over here as well. I can't imagine being a family member. I can only hope that somehow, someday, all these mysteries will be solved but I know that's unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, if the crimes happened now, they would be quickly solved by technology.

      Delete
  8. wow. thanks Andrew, I did not know about the Carlton ones, but in London a guy put his carriages on top of shipping containers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tube carriages Ann, how cool.

      Delete
  9. Police Detective Fred Krahe killed Juanita, on behalf of a Sydney businessman. Abe Saffron was involved as well.

    The disappearance of Linda Stilwell haunted me because it was forgotten so quickly.

    I well remember the Easey Street case and thought I may have done it myself. One of the girls went out with a lot of men. One of them did it,

    I remember the Wanda beach murders, I was living near there as well. I don't think I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Beaumont kids were killed by a (very) close relative

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creepy murders. I cannot fathom how anyone can kill children. Weird carriages on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Diana. Crimes of passion are a little understandable, but killing children is pretty inhuman. Weird carriages and expensive to do, I should think.

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Mitchell. I was thinking those carriages are probably used for something and imagining perhaps one at least had become on of those old-fashioned "Diners".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Were the Beaumont children killed? Has this been proved? I don't recall hearing about it in the news, I only heard about new evidence fairly recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it has not been proved until bodies are found, however, surely they were. The suspected killer recently died, Derek Percy.

      Delete
  14. The carriages are weirdly fascinating. I'd love to see them from the inside.

    Two kids I went to school with were murdered by their mother as they slept, I still wonder about it some days. I can't remember their names though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sad Fen.

      Delete