Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Day 5 Merimbula 21/09

R was a bit worried about the noise from a road behind us in our cabin when we would be sleeping. I checked the map and it was a dead end road. Worrying about road noise might amuse you if you know where we live, but our glass is thick and the windows seal well. The only cars will be locals or lovers seeking a place for a bit of a pash, I assured him. I was correct and we slept the sleep of the innocent.

Red often mentions loos with great views spread over the vastness of Australian but as a seaside loo I reckon this one takes some beating. It sits above Long Point Beach in Merimbula.


A solitary figure stood for ages, staring out to sea. Not much harm will come if she/he jumps. We were at Long Point as the tide had nearly peaked and the water was flowing into an inland lake.


R is contemplating the beauty.


Gorgeous beach to one side, interesting rocks to clamber on at the other side.


I was quite fascinated by the water flowing into the lake.


Some idiot decided to go into the water.


Some stupid old bloke sun baking on a wooden deck chair.


Lordy, he is a dead ringer for me. Bloody R. I asked him to take the rear photo, not a front one.


You may immediately see my shoe, but as R often reminds me, it is not all about me. It is a little lizard on the rock, maybe what is called a skink.


Back to the car we drove around the coast. This is called The Bar and it is the inlet to Merimbula Lake. On the far away sand, some people are playing beach cricket.


I can't quite recall this tiny beach, but how much would you pay to live in the overlooking house just a kilometre or so  from the shops of Merimbula.


We didn't lunch at the Merimbula Wharf Aquarium or visit the aquarium. I should think it is expensive. Step Father and Mother visited Merimbula some twenty plus years ago and Step Father hated Merimbula because it was expensive.




The sticks in the water are something to do with fish farming. I dunno really.


Further around the lake, pelicans were preening themselves, accompanied by cormorants. Thanks again Red and Pilchard for the ID. The pelicans were quite happy with the company of cormorants, but hated a seagull nearby and snapped at them.



We lunched at the delightfully named Cranky Cafe. Finally a drinkable cup of coffee for a late morning tea, but only just above the line. After lunch we walked to the beach and when returning I noticed this sculpture. Once over the dunes and in context, it made a little more sense.


We drove up into the suburban hills. I really don't like recreated architecture, but these very Melbourne Victorian style terrace houses were great replicas.


Lorikeets are nectar drinking birds? I am puzzled. Nevertheless we had bought some bird seed. They quite happily kept company with wattle birds and wattle birds are normally very aggressive against intruders.


We drove to the town end of the Merimbula Bridge and set off on a 3km board walk. This is the board walk. We didn't walk the full length. We are not young.


An octopus was in the shallow water. Creepy. I not like. I don't even like to eat. We also saw crabs, but the camera did not capture them well. I made a sound recording on my phone of a very strange sounding invisible frog to find out about later.


We went back to Long Point via a bakery in town for a snack and the worst cup of coffee for the entire trip. It was like drinking warm brown water. This is the inland lake at Long Point. It is very shallow.


Kiddies were playing in the water. It was interesting to see the water flowing out at low tide, as opposed to flowing in at high tide.


We bought bird seed. When will we ever learn. Parrots have a strong preference for sunflower seed. They pick through the other seed for the sunflower seeds and push the rest away. Don't buy wild bird seed mix, no matter how beneficial you may thing a varied diet is for them. Just buy sunflower seed for occasional feeding.



After these two had eaten their fill, they called out loudly and another joined them. The next morning they woke us with squawking at our door. I had a feeling they knew there was a big bad of seed inside and so we kept the wire door shut.


While the previous night we had a hunger for Asian food, tonight I had a hunger for steak. The local RSL supplied one and I won a bit on my $5 investment on a pokie machine. R broke even.

19 comments:

  1. Those birds look stuffed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, they would look nice if they were stuffed.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a beautiful spot and as usual, with your photography at least, you avoided (evaded?) the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly Victor, there weren't too many people around. You haven't been there, then?

      Delete
    2. I've been to Mollymook but I don't recall visiting Merimbula

      Delete
    3. Mollymook, haha. Oh, it really is a name.

      Delete
    4. Btw, there is a person in tomorrow's first photo.

      Delete
  3. How much would you pay to live in the overlooking house just a kilometre or so from the shops of Merimbula? A LOT! But the wall facing the ocean must be entirely glass, from ceiling to floor. And there must be a veranda on the beach side, big enough to eat outside in comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely perfectly described Hels. How nice it would be.

      Delete
  4. Those black leather shoes look very sensible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leather and suede Michael. They are not practical for visiting Asia with as it is too hard to take them off and put them on again. Next visit, slip ons.

      Delete
  5. I like that R got his shadow in the picture too!
    Gorgeous pics as always, looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I had not noticed, but he certainly did.

      Delete
  6. Wow what I wouldn't give to be on that beach right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as you don't drown Keith!

      Delete
  7. The row of terraces actually looks okay. Not sure I would pay megabucks for a view of a beach frequented by stupid idiots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, the houses looked quite authentic and not a plastic recreation. I find couple of syringes dropped on a beach usually moves people on.

      Delete
  8. I love that beach house! beach, rocks, trees, what more could one want? oh yes, the beach would have to be private, for the use of only myself and friends. Family too of course.
    Merimbula looks so lovely.
    That is definitely a skink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. River, family when they are invited.

    I don't know much about skinks. What we used to see as kids were blue tongue lizards.

    ReplyDelete