Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Day 4 Mallacoota to Merimbula 20/09

It was a little grey when we woke early the next morning. We woke early because we were woken by a very noisy bird continually making a sound. Occasionally it would pause and in the distance a reply could be heard. It began early and was still making the noise when we checked out at 10am. I have consulted oh wise one, What Bird is That, and I used some internet resources I knew and I could not identify it. However, sometime you have to think laterally. I googled "annoying Mallacoota bird" and there was the answer. It is a koel. My informants who weren't quite sure because of the timing, thanks Red and Pilchard, tell me it is very early for this migratory bird to appear in Mallacoota. Imagine this waking you and going on loudly for hours.


As you do, we drove around Mallacoota as close to the shore as possible. There is a monster caravan park. How does the town cope at the height of the tourist season?


At the end of the caravan park is this nice feature.


We walked down some steps to the small beach. Pretty pink rocks. The camera colour is true.


Look R, a kangaroo paw print. I am not really sure about that.


Along with pink rocks, there were more orange looking rocks.


While it may not have been a kangaroo paw print, they were aplenty 'roos in the caravan park. As they do, the mob stared at us, alert but not alarmed.


We drove north along the east coast as far as we could then joined the main road. Mother had told us Gipsy(sic) Point is quite beautiful. I will say it was quite nice. Pelicans floated on the water.


Someone wanted fish scraps to help their pumpkins to grow.


I forgot to ask Red about this bird. I haven't tried to identify it myself yet. It was pretty.
Later edit: It has been established that the bird below is a Welcome Swallow.



I heard a sound in the water and saw ripples. What was that? It was snort from a seal.


We journeyed on and paused at Boyd Town, which Mother had told me about. I have not investigated Ben Boyd but his name is liberally spread around the area south of Eden. Across the water is the town of Eden.


It is rather grand accommodation at Boyd Town.



We arrived in Eden in time for lunch. It was bright and sunny when we arrived, but a squall arrived from across the water just after we had finished our lunch. I took this from the car.



Eden is another fishing and tourist town. We drove around quite a bit and stepped out of the car at Bastion Point.



A memorial to fishers lost at sea, and I think fishers who also died of natural causes.



In the wall were plaques, in fact plaques everywhere and space for more. The cross my seem inappropriate in 2013, but from as many of the plaques we read, it is quite appropriate. No Husseins or Trans here.


Further north is the quite ordinary town of Pambula. It has a couple of nice art deco buildings. We drove on a couple of kilometres to the unremarkable Pambula Beach.


We arrived at the Merimbula Caravan Park and took a walk. We saw a peek of nice views.


There were two pools, this one heated, the other older one not.


We had a visitor to our cabin, but we had no seed. We both had a hungering for Asian food. Some googling found the most excellent Thai Noodle House where we had our evening meal. It does not just serve noodles but the Asian food we are used to. Unlike most restaurants in the state of Victoria, this New South Wales place did not sell wine. I was despatched despatched myself to buy a bottle of wine. Regardless, I think we might like Merimbula.



30 comments:

  1. I loved Merimbula when we holidayed there a few years ago. We stayed at the Big 4 caravan park (same one?) and it was magnificent. Our cabin looked over the beach and we had lorrikeets visit our deck every morning. I'd love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, probably was the same place if you had a view of the sea. It is a great town.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew

    Re your mystery bird. I have seen Azure Kingfishers on that very pier in Mallacoota. I am wondering if this might be a juvenile. Difficult to tell without seeing the head.

    xxx

    Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants, that must have special to see. There seems to be so much bird life in East Gippsland. I am fairly sure by the sound that the bird is a koel.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure Pants meant the bird on the dock, not the calling bird.

      Delete
    3. Thanks River. That occurred to me later.

      Delete
    4. Pants, I had to take a close look, but mine has a white chest and a shorter beak. It was a quite small bird.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful down there. Glad ur enjoying your stay. Remember to *relax*!
    Thanks for sharing ur time away here with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and yes... there would be kangaroos and wallabies on the beaches, for sure :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mal. I have seen a video of kangaroos swimming in the sea, so yes, I reckon they had been on the beach.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful part of the world. Brings me back to childhood memories of holidays to the south coast of NSW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it was an area I was quite unfamiliar with. It is exceptionally nice.

      Delete
  5. It is such an attractive route to drive, Melbourne to Sydney along the coast line. And yes, the accommodation at Boyd Town does look rather grand :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice way to travel Hels, especially if you can keep stopping at all the towns along the way.

      Delete
  6. That heated pool looks inviting. Merimbula, eh. Noted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is FC, they are never quite warm enough for me, but yes, it looks inviting.

      Delete
  7. I listened to the bird and didn't find it annoying, but I would if I had to hear it too long. I heard the pigeons replies too. I'm wondering now what type of bird I hear here twice a day, beginning around 4:30am calling to wake the others and waiting to hear replies, then again from 4:30pm to call them all home again.
    I really like the Bastion Point photos, they'd look lovely enlarged and framed, and the fisher's memorial area too.
    I agree that heated pools are never warm enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River, like for five hours it gets too much. Bastion Point was something we knew nothing about, but just happened upon it.

      Delete
  8. It is a lovely drive up the coast . We did it from Melbourne to Brisbane staying in cabins along the way. I really like Merimbula. Many small restaurants are BYO in the country and even here too. Isn't the Koel an annoying bird. e get them here around May They drive TOH bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I was a bit surprised at how good the eastern coast is. It was a hard call as to whether continue or go inland. I think a gun would sort out koel well enough.

      Delete
  9. Dammit, internet dropped off and my comment vanished. The bird on the dock looks like a welcome swallow.
    The Koel would be nice for 5 minutes then I would want to take pot shots at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, and the comment is never as good the second time. I have taken note of your thought on the bird. I am a prospective Koel killer.

      Delete
  10. What an amazing trip. I love waking to birdsong. But that koel would drive me to despair. Painful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I am sure you are the type to care for animals, but that bird is really beyond the pale.

      Delete
  11. Goodness me that was definitely a cup of tea catch up on your roadtrip Andrew..love the pics you took of Eden, almost 'Garden of..' oui :) sounds like you had a fairly even mix of good/bad weather but that it didn't stop you enjoying yourselves! In case you don't go that far back, again huge congrats on your nine years of blogging and for all the times you've cheered me up just when I've needed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, comments are emailed to me, so I don't miss them. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful sightseeing tour ! I thought the most noisy bird is the kookaburra (I love this bird it makes me laugh)
    A restaurant or even a snack without selling wine would be impossible in Belgium. Beer and wine is not considered as alcohol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone loves a kookaburra Gatina and their sound. Go back here and have a look. http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/diary-monday-18th-march.html

      I am pleased to hear beer and wine is not alcohol. It is the same in Melbourne. Everywhere sells alcohol, but not in other states, it seems.

      Delete
  13. Looks like a pretty place but I never seen pink rocks before they are very impressive.
    Merle.......... ............ .........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merle, I can see some in your garden. I should have broke off a couple for you.

    ReplyDelete