Monday, September 16, 2013

The royal home movies

I thought I had seen it all before but there was forthcoming King Charles introducing and commenting on family home movies. No, it was new to me.I had not seen it before.

As the tv show concluded with God Save the Queen, I felt compelled to stand and I did. English born R remained seated.

Wow, after so many years, I still feel a compulsion to stand for God save our Gracious Queen. It is an automatic response.

If your are a long time reader of my blog, you will know that I am very anti religious hokey pokey nonsense, but I do understand where it comes from if your religion came from your childhood and was ingrained into you.

My understanding of ingrained religion comes from me always standing for Australia's national anthem, which was when I was child and a youf, God Save the Queen. I don't feel compelled to stand for our present national anthem. If others do, I will, but I certainly don't at home.


14 comments:

  1. "I love God and my country; I honour the flag; I will serve the Queen and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the laws". Remember that oath, said with hand on heart?

    It started in 1901 but I don't remember when school children stopped saying it, every Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me Hels, it stopped when I started secondary school.

      Delete
    2. OOOOO, that was just going through my mind, Hels!

      Delete
  2. But is the adherence to royalty considered as religion. Feels very Pavlovian to me. You CAN break free! Maybe there is a 12 step program for Royalist Anonymous?

    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I very much doubt I will care once old Liz has gone.

      Delete
  3. You stand for God Save the Queen at home Andrew... you crack me up..you know that every time I hear it from now on I'm going to think of you :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, let me clarify. Perhaps it more that I feel compelled to stand.

      Delete
  4. Laughing hysterically. You have no idea how pleased I was when Mr Bin Guardin from next door snapped TO's flagpole off at the base. [Apart from myself who else would be tempted?]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha FC. You should sue him regardless.

      Delete
  5. The national Anthem of Wales...is a cracking singalong
    So I always stand and give it some gusto

    Pity the uk anthem is so a l o w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must listen to it John.

      Delete
  6. I have only ever stood for God save the queen when at school, never anywhere else. I don't think I've even heard it for several years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we did it all the time. End of movies, country dances, tv shut down, public ceremonies.

      Delete
  7. Although I grew up, like you, in the days when God Save The Queen was our national anthem - indeed it was God Save the King until I was three years old - I no longer have any automatic reaction to stand to it but I show the same respect to it as I do for any foreign anthem (ie I don't talk or muck about during it until it is over; and I remove any headwear I might be wearing). I did that a lot at the Sydney Olympics!

    ReplyDelete