Friday, September 27, 2013

The 60s iPod

Jackie reminded me of the K-Tel Record Selector. It may have worked well with K-Tel records that were wafer thin and as light as possibly could be, but if you had some heavier records in your K-Tel Record Selector, disaster followed the selection process.

Our K-Tel Record Selector sat on the H. G. Palmer stereogram. I think H. G. Palmer was a rip off hire purchase company, and the unit was re-branded, and I doubt my parents bought anything on hire purchase, so it must have been second hand. The K-Tel Record Selector had in it a mix of records, some heavier than others and it never worked as it does in this ad. The worst thing was that if you did get it to reach the end, it would tip over and dump all the records from atop the H. G. Palmer onto the floor. I can't tell you how many times Mother's lust object, Gene Pitney hit the floor, along with my Mary Poppins soundtrack.

Think of it as the iPod of the sixties, but with bugs. I don't believe there was ever a patch for it, let alone an upgrade, beta or otherwise.


11 comments:

  1. I was spared this contraption as my parents radiogram was (and still is) in fine fettle and did not have a hankering of dumping The Furies or Max Bygraves no matter much I wished for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those radiograms were awesome Jayne, and the sound quality..........bloody awful.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You are far too young to remember them of course, Ian.

      Delete
    2. perhaps, you are kind, I certainly remember k tel

      Delete
  3. Wot a laugh. Never owned one, but would have needed a dozen anyway. Interesting collection of records in the ad for this "space age" answer to all of modern man's problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I tried not to look at the record titles. I guess the holder held your playlist, rather than more obscure discs.

      Delete
  4. I remember those K-Tel ads. I don't think I ever bought anything from K-Tel, the stuff looked cheap to me, just more gadgets that no one really needs.
    I'm astounded that you had a Mary Poppins soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it was cheap crap. Before the company disappeared from Australia, did they sell a vegetable slicing machine? Their records were so thin you could easily bend them.

      I loved the movie Mary Poppins and begged my parents to buy the record. They must have.

      Along with being among friends, including our friend in Japan, our dyke friend and Dame M, we saw Mary Poppins sing a long at Melbourne's well known Astor Theatre. Must have been pre blog as it seems I did not write about it.

      Among fave movies. What happened to the tee I mentioned?
      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2006/01/another-tag.html

      Mentioned again when I did one of your meme type things.
      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/one-of-those-things.html

      Public humiliation when I sold my records. http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2005/04/public-humiliation.html

      Haha, early days of blog, no comments. I enjoyed re-reading it. Funny I mentioned water saving shower heads back then.

      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/one-of-those-things.html To cheer me up.




      Delete
  5. I kept my records in a pile on the floor as a teenager, I still have many but I'm neater now well just a bit.
    Merle.......... ............ .............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we had more than could fit in the record selector. They used to be piled up too.

      Delete