Friday, September 06, 2013

Just another Friday funicular

Somebody, whose name may be Gattina, may be holidaying in another country on the shores of Lake Geneva in a place called Thonon-les-Bains. I have not heard of it. Google Maps is my friend, sometimes. Last week it sent me to a wrong address in town and I had to rush up the Bourke Street hill on foot to make an appointment on time. 490 Bourke Street is not on the corner of Elizabeth Street and I should have followed my instinct that 490 would be further west.

Anyway, as I typed Thonon-les, up came the correct name and there it is, on the French side of Lake Geneva, speaking of which, missing you Kath.

Oh look. It has a funicular. I do like a good funicular. As I was watching I became confused by the tracks and then alarmed as the car going up approached the car going down. I thought they would pass on the opposite sides, but of course not in France.

The funicular connects the centre of city to the port of Rives. It opened in 1888 and was renovated in 1951 and 1989.



There is a watching paint dry video here filmed from outside the car. A minute or so is enough to appreciate the scene.

10 comments:

  1. Hehe. "I do love a good funicular." [Carry on Riding?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how it was ! and we could see people eating on their terraces ! The train goes up and down all the time, and it's very cheap only 1 Euro for the trip !
    The views from there are gorgeous !
    Thanks for the publicity, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  3. FC, whatever. Nothing wrong with riding something that goes up and down.

    Gattina, it does look to be a very nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of a funicular prior to this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, you have or had them in the US. http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/cincinnati-by-tram.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched all the way through and enjoyed it. The town looks lovely although I imagine it might look a bit bleak in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss Kath too and hope she and her family are all okay, it's been 3 months since she posted or commented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funiculars are fab fun especially in France :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. River, I keep expecting a post to pop up in my reader, but yes, nothing. Not sure if you knew Ruby Jack from Blue Skies, Sunny Days in the US, but she too has ceased to post, as has Dina who Loves Australia.

    Grace, I did look at the one at Sacre Coeur but it was pretty modern and very functional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victor, very bleak, I should think. I don't know if the lake freezes over, but I am sure it would be very cold.

    ReplyDelete