Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Demographics

I must say, I have been a little puzzled about the demographics of where we are staying in Canberra, on the outskirts of Canberra in Queanbeyan. I have been trying to equate the place to a Melbourne equivalent and I cannot. In fact nothing about Canberra equates to Melbourne.

This evening we dined et at the Royal Hotel in Queanbeyan. It is a marvellous building and the food was cheap enough and quite ok but I liken nothing about the experience to Melbourne. Is Q (I just ain't typing it again) middle class or rough? There are very few exotic people here, but there are some Aborigines. No exotic people means a certain thing in Melbourne, but it doesn't seem to here.

The ever wise R spoke and then Dorothy understood she was no longer in Kansas. Think Sydney, R said, and it suddenly all made perfect sense. I was back at the Midnight Shift downstairs bar in Oxford Street.

I think I can speak for both Queanbeyan and Kingston, they are so Sydney. I haven't decided about Canberra yet. I don't think it is like anywhere else.

As I thought about the differences between Sydney and Melbourne, I did for the first time understand how different both cities are. While I know Melbourne almost city wide, I can't say I know much more than the tourist map area of Sydney, but that is the area I am talking about. I would suggest the Sydney social mix is much better. Melbourne is a much more divided city and you are more able to fit people into a category by where they live and the area they inhabit.

I suppose I have been thinking out loud. I will be home tomorrow night and reply to your future comments in a meaningful way, and I thank you for your comments I have not replied to. And then you will have my evening slideshow of photos to look forward to.

9 comments:

  1. When I lived in Canberra (thirty years ago for a period of five years) I was struck by how Melbourne centric the residents were even though the city is closer geographically to Sydney than to Melbourne. Most people put that down to the fact that the big move to Canberra, which occurred in the 1970s, was mostly from Melbourne when many Departments who until then had their head quarters located in Melbourne relocated to the capital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I reckon it has been very Sydneyfied since then. I was quite astonished at the population growth.

      Delete
  2. I know Sydney as well as you know Melbourne but I only been to Melbourne once in my life and Canberra maybe three times very quickly so I don't have the knowledge to comment.
    Merle......... ............ ..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we only had time to do the major tourist things in Canberra, but we saw an awful lot. It was good.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Sydney has a lot to offer, if I knew how to find anything. On the other hand, Canberrra seemed impossible to navigate the one time I was there but I wasn't sure there was much to find at all except for the new government house. Pity the occupants thereof don't live up to its promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I have always thought Sydney drivers were more patient and tolerant and less aggressive than Melbourne drivers. Canberra is quite difficult to navigate, but then so are some parts of Melbourne.

      Delete
  4. You "et"? That made me laugh. I know someone who says "I've aten it" instead of I ate it.
    I've lived in both Melbourne and Sydney twice and don't know a damn thing about either of them. of course I was way out in the suburbs with 3 and then 4 small children and I don't drive so didn't really get out and about much.
    BUT, I've been in Adelaide now for 27 years, the kids are grown and gone and I still don't get out much and don't know as much as I should, (or could) about my own city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is what my grandfather used to say. I am trying to keep it alive by using it at times. I can see some logic in aten. Was there, perhaps Henry Lawson, story about the woman who lived in the bush and when her husband was away droving, on Sundays she would dress the children up and go for a long walk? It was like that for many women years ago on the outskirts of cities. They were quite trapped.

      Delete
  5. oooh slide show *gets out the terrys chocolate orange*

    ReplyDelete