Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Oh my Gok

Gok Wan first came to my attention on tv in England in 2008. I never imagined I would see him Australia, but here he is, advertising Target. He is on tv ads, buildings and public transport vehicles. He is nice enough looking and looks impossibly well groomed and clean. I really haven't taken much notice though. I think he known for his sense of style and as a style adviser. I just know the style queen of Wales John sups up Gok's every word of fashion advice. Here he is on the side of a tram taken from the Highrise.

I am sure gays invented it in the seventies, but as Gok does, if you want to put on a bit of side and sound posh in an ironical manner, Target can be pronounced as tarjay, soft j. I expect gays were also responsible for the pronunciation of, or Priceline as Pric e leeney.

(Well that was the plan. He is on the side of tram 3529. But 3529 has either been in a horrible accident or its engines are broken. I keep checking my Tram Tracker phone app and 3529 has just disappeared. However, here is a photo taken by Ian Green)

But wait, three weeks after I wrote this post, there is no need to use Ian's photo. 3529 went past the Highrise today. I will take my own snap.


Wow, Gok was once 21 stone. That is 133 kg in Celsius. Poor Gok. Although once voted the 100th sexiest man in the world by voters of a woman's magazine, he isn't married and doesn't have children. Ah, his mother is Anglo English. Now if he had a good Chinese mother, she would make sure the right girl was lined up for him. Now don't you be saying anything suggestive about him. He just hasn't met the right lassie.

Seems Target has received some homophobic feedback from the great unwashed.

23 comments:

  1. He's ok I like him, well he is better than the coles guy, he didn't last long, they are back to the big red hands but my real hate is the singer in the NRMA Add he sings a song and he must have a terrible pain somewhere no one could sound that bad.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I don't think we get NRMA ads, but I will be on the lookout for it when we are in NSW next month.

      Delete
  2. Anything to do with style or target is wasted on me. He seems a pleasantly inoffensive, savvy man. Bangers replacing boobs? A marketing thing.
    I'm more shocked to learn people actually watch ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, bangers sounds quite English to me.

      Delete
  3. Aimee and I looooooove GOK, he's brilliant and he can call our breasts :)))) bangers anytime he likes..seriously some people should get a freaking life! When you think of the mega serious things that are going on in the world, people starving for example, I really do worry about the mentality of some folk! He does let his tres droop too much at the back though hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I will try and see him on tv sometime, maybe. Yes, all pretty harmless.

      Delete
  4. You knew I meant trews (trousers) right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Gok I do love me some bangers. I liked Targets response to the homophobes of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, good that Target defend him and themselves.

      Delete
  6. Don't know this guy, but with 133 kg, no wonder that he is not married. Poor wife !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I don't think he is anything like that now.

      Delete
  7. He makes some good TV prog. I have heard a number of interviews with him and I have to admire the way he turned his life around. I am sure he has a significant other in his life. He is too nice not to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I did read a bit about that, and yes, he has done very well.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen Gok on TV at all, but he is all over our local Target. Doesn't look at all like he was once 133kg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is really hard to imagine him being that big.

      Delete
  9. I love Gok! I used to watch his show 'How to look good naked' (I think) and he was so caring and encouraging and affectionate with the women on the show - it wasn't mean-spirited or fake like so much reality TV. He always seemed so lovely!
    Wow though, I can't believe he used to be big. He's so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, he is sounding better and better. I suppose he is now rich too. Quite a catch.

      Delete
  10. oh I absolutely love him!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, I am amazed that he is so adored.

      Delete
  11. One Twitter homophobic nutter referred to him as Gok the cock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I like clever word play. That isn't.

      Delete
  12. By the way, I thought your post was going to be in reference to Gok's use of the word 'bangers' for women's breasts in Target's advertisements.

    Complaints went to the Broadcasting monitoring thingy who have just decreed that the advertisements were not offensive. So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about the bangers until after I had pretty well finished the post. Pity really, I could have had some fun with that.

      Delete