Thursday, August 22, 2013

OCD and the ex

I recently heard on the wireless that if you have your coat hangers all hanging in the same direction, you are possibly an Obsessive Compulsive. I am exhibit 1.

I also heard that if you arrange your bookcase in order of height of books, you are also OCD. Exhibit 2.

Oh dear, R is exhibit 3 with his hangers all facing the same way.

I just call it balance. I like balance and symmetry.

I did briefly have another partner before R. We silently battled over the toaster. I thought it made the bench look cluttered and used to put it away in the cupboard. He would not only leave it out after toasting, he would deliberately get it out to put it on the bench. Just another OCD person, I guess.

Funny, this has brought back memories. He rejected me but was still possessive of me and not ready to let me go. One night he followed me after I left work and forced me into a side street and punched me. I had a swollen lip and a sore jaw. I am so embarrassed to remember now but I sought help at my step mother's nephew's house in Warrigal Road.

G was so angry because I hooked up with his ex, that is R.

G was an incredibly hot guy though. He could charm the pants off a straight guy and frequently did. He was probably an alcoholic and had delusions of grandeur. He was from a huge family, with some of his brothers having served time in gaol for theft. He came from Port Melbourne wharf worker stock, but he could mix it with polite society too by sheer charm.

I was ever so prim and proper back then. I was so shocked when he said to a very normal straight guy in a pub who he had just introduced me to and I had shaken hands with, along with my butchest howyagoinmate greeting, G said, this bloke won't let me do him because my dick is too small. I said I would do it twice to make up for it.

I am getting this down on the record before dementia sets in. The details are already hazy. G's mother lived in a cloud of Ardath cigarette smoke in a rented flat in Carlisle Street near the corner of Barkly Street. The block was later renovated in the eighties and sold off as own your owns. Before that she lived in a very nice rented Spanish Mission block in Elwood. G introduced me to his mother thus; This is Sue, the St Kilda do.

His mother, with a wharfie as a husband, was pretty rough around the edges, yet she was nice and good fun. I took her once to bingo in Wright Street in Middle Park. Another time I took her to her daughter's place in Station Street, Fairfield in my Valiant. Back then Punt Road had five lanes, with the one in the middle being for turns and peak directional. It was horribly congested. Nothing has changed.

I came across G once after he punched me. His sarcastic barb washed over me as I had met the man I was to spend the rest of my life with. G moved to the Dandenong Ranges and is amazingly still alive. He must be pushing seventy now.

How do I know this? He worked at a garage in St Kilda, almost the same place with the same owner where I still take my car to be serviced and G keeps in touch with owner. A couple of years ago he tried to work for the same bloke, delivering spare parts, but he only lasted one day. He found it all too hard.

28 comments:

  1. On the issue of OCD I hang all my socks on the line facing in the same direction (ie angling to the left). I also have all my wardrobe hangers point in the same direction. And wherever possible I only use the dark blue of my coloured pegs on the clothes line.

    Exhibit 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Victor, I reckon exhibit 4.

      Delete
  2. Hanging hangers the same way is not OCD it is just easier to get them in and out of the cupboard. Even then I manage to get them tangled which irritates me no end. That and trying to untangle the garden hose are my two pet hates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wire hangers Diane? Get the plastic ones and chuck all the wire ones away. We did and life is so much better.

      Delete
    2. Diane, I was going to suggest the Nylex plastic garden hose reel. They were so popular, the company went broke.

      Delete
  3. I hang things in my wardrobe any old way because I don't wear them very often, my wardrobe is very old and nice to look at but has wardrobe smell and it does not go away no matter have much smelly stuff I use, so I store my popular stuff in a different cupboard that has good circulation.
    Was that Station st Fairfield in Melbourne not Sydney I grew up around the corner from that address in Sydney.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Station Street, Fairfield, Melbourne, Merle. We once had a nice free standing wardrobe of an old style and I know what you mean about the smell. Ours said 'European Labour Only' on the back of it.

      Delete
  4. Sorry Victor - that sock thing sounds almost fetishist.
    I once had a MIL who would wait til I had hung my washing out then rush from next door and re-hang my socks the way you describe, only with matching coloured pegs for each sock. I don't think she was a fetishist or had OCD though, she was just bloody irritating.

    As for the exes of exes, serial swinging seems to me to have been quite common amongst both gays and straights of a certain age group "back then". Sounds like a win-win outcome for you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, an outsider might suggest I went for stability rather than passion, but I would deny it.

      Delete
  5. If you carefully hang all the coat hangers in one direction and put books in your library according to size, it is simply sensible house keeping.

    If someone else puts their shoes in the cupboard in perfect symmetry, according to colour, or lines up their toothbrushes in parallel lines, it is out of control OCD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am relieved. I am not OCD. I don't have many shoes and their storage is haphazard.

      Delete
  6. oh god you would HATE to live with me I literally THROW things in the cupboard after washing/drying and quickly slide the door closed so I can't see it and I'm not known for my minimalist look either.

    Every now and again I'll get all uppity about how messy my life is and have a full OCD type clean up where everything gets put so it's facing the right way and folded neatly etc.. and it looks smashing. EAch time I vow to keep it like that... 1 week later - back to crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, I chuck casual shirts in a ball into the wardrobe for ironing later, but of late I have been slipping them into R's ironing pile and he he irons them. Nice.

      You are correct. I could not live like that, although I admire people who can and don't care.

      Delete
  7. darling, you do not have OCD, it's a little more complex than that! I have clients with OCD and it's debilitating. You're just a control freak :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I am terribly offended. I am quite happy to let anyone who does it better than I can to control things. Sadly, so few can.

      Delete
    2. you and me both chicken x

      Delete
  8. Sorry FruitCake, I hang my socks that way too and even hang them in pairs, if I can't find the other purple sock, I'll leave a spot for it so I can hang it with its partner when I find it lower in the basket. All my hangers face the same way and my bookshelf is organised alphabetically by author, and each author's section is organised alphabetically by title. Groceries are put in the fridge and pantry with labels facing forward so you can see what you have and find things easily. I don't think I have OCD, I just like my home organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is a fine line between being organised and OCD. I used to do the same with socks. It makes it much easier to pair them up when they are dry, but then the time it takes to hang them like might be longer than a sock sort out. Unlike Victor, I never hung them in the same direction.

      Delete
    2. River, I must confess I try to pair socks up as I hang them out, which makes it much easier when taking them off the line. But what about the peg colours?

      And yes, hangers must face the same way - if a fire is heading my way I want to grab them in one hit [though TO hangs hers in the opposite direction].

      As for books and DVDs, I tend to categorise them by topic/genre and then cram them in where they fit in a roughly alpabetical order. The problem is that books come in such an assortment of sizes. As soon as someone moves one I'm in trouble, because my brain remembers the physical location, not the 'system'.

      Last time I replaced the paper on pantry shelves I tried labelling the shelves but of course that went ignored. Since Aunty arrived I've been replacing jars and old canisters with plastic containers so they are easier to lift and, because they all look the same, I've had to label them

      Now and then I go to the fridge and if anything in a container looks suspect I just throw the contents away - of course, I wouldn't dare do such a thing if anyone was home to say "hang on a minute...". Honestly, if someone hasn't used or even seen anything for the last 2 years, it's time to fill the kitchen tidy.

      I'd like to pay you to come and organise our house but, to be honest, everyone would still do their own thing and it would make me crazier than I already am.

      Delete
    3. Fc, while I do sort books into order of height, they are still a little grouped by each shelf, but my system would make no logic to anyone else.

      Hangers in the opposite direction? Like toilet paper, there is only one way hangers can hang and usually not like they are in shops.

      Delete
    4. FruitCake; I've been cleaning house for a friend, there is stuff in the fridge and pantry with use by dates over two years old, newer stuff that has been opened and used once then left to go mouldy, I've filled the kitchen tidy several times over in just one week. Labelling containers is a good idea, I do that too, but labelling shelves is a waste of time.

      Delete
  9. I find myself doing many of these things...especially the hangar thing. I also have to have my clothes evenly spaced when they're hanging. Maybe I'm OCD and don't even realize it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, if I had the wardrobe space, I would hang my clothes like that too. But I don't.

      Delete
  10. My wardrobe has very little order and that drives me bananas, but I don't have a linen closet, so everything needs to be crammed into the wardrobe along with my clothes. If I had any space at all, I'd buy a small shelved cabinet for my linens, but there is just no room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard with limited space River. We just have enough to keep things orderly, but only just.

      Delete
  11. Me too, toaster on the bench.. Hangers all the same way, what does this mean Andrew, is there hope pour moi ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None whatsoever Grace, but I always knew that.

      Delete