Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Melbourne Open House Sunday

I had to work on Open House Sunday, but R took a stroll across the road to the synagogue which was open to the public for the first time, I think, as part of Open House.

 

I can't say much about the photos as I wasn't there to hear the tour. His guide was a very talkative chap with a good sense of humour. Temporary head coverings were supplied to men who did not have there own.


The dome looks glorious.


While it is known as the Melbourne Synagogue, it isn't in the city of course. I believe there is a smaller one in town.


Have a look at the beautiful stained glass, which is really not evident from the outside.







I was very surprised to learn that women don't sit down with the men but in the galleries.


The succah is at what I would call the back of the synagogue. They normally have roofs of plant material, such as palm fronds, but not to the point of weatherproofing them. This one has or had a retractable roof,  I would guess for protection when it wasn't being used. Its purpose is a little hard to describe for me, but perhaps think of it as somewhere to eat and relax.


And so ends Open House for another year. Our count was low this year, but no doubt Open House will be back bigger and better next year.

18 comments:

  1. Those windows are like a Disney cartoon
    ( from the 1950s)
    Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean John. No doubt they are full of symbolism.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful interior, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I thought it would be more austere. I agree.

      Delete
  3. Succot is the 8 day holiday that follows Jewish New Year, celebrating travel in the desert (from Egypt) in booths. Families with a big back yard can erect a big booth. People in flats might stick something over their balcony.

    During the 8 days, festive meals are eaten in the succah/booth each night. Family and visitors join in the fun. Note that while Sept is warm in the northern hemisphere, it can be a bit nippy in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, 15 minutes reading on the net to find out the exact purpose of succah revealed not much to me. Thanks for the crystal clear explanation.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour!
    And thanks, Hels, for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I hoped Hels would explain. I wasn't disappointed.

      Delete
  5. thanks R for the photos. I looked up the windows because they didn't look 'old' -
    "In 1973 a scheme to develop Stained Glass Windows within the Synagogue was commenced under the guidance of the noted architect Dr Ernest Fooks. These windows, especially the clerestory windows in the dome, add much grandeur to the Synagogue. Rimona Kedem, a noted Israeli artist, designed the windows. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same Ann. You did brilliantly. I should have done the same and looked them up. Funny that we can't see them from the outside at all.

      Delete
  6. The stained windows are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Diane. R is not a photographer but he didn't do a bad job at all with the photos.

      Delete
  7. R did a marvellous job of showing us the synagogue Andrew, j'adore the stained glass windows..i guess its looking outwards to the light that transforms them from indistinct to stunning artworks oui?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Grace, I just said that above. Actually, and you can see them in the top photo, there are lamps outside each window, which I guess gives a nice even light and they work at night time.

      Delete
  8. I'm a fan of stained glass, especially more modern interpretations and these are especially pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you don't see a lot of modern style stained glass. There should be more of it.

      Delete
  9. It's a lovely building and Rs photos showed it well. Thanks to Hels for the explanation of Succah, now I don't have to google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said River, Hels spelt it out quickly and concisely.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.