Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Great Uncle Andrew

Two friends arrived at 1.30. Oldest Niece and Chainsaw/Hippy Niece and a family friend arrived at 1.50.  We had a decent chat. By 2.15 we were all on the tram heading to town to see King Kong. The family friend did not have  money on her Myki, so I grabbed our spare cards. I had to be careful to not use one to go into town and the other coming our, so I kept the one I used one with my own.

By 2.40 Non Dreaded Nephew had dropped Ex Sis in Law in front of the Regent Theatre from her monster 4WD. In the back was her very cute dog who we had not seen yet. We crazily and madly waved to him in the back seat as Non Dreaded Nephew pulled the big white beast out into the heavy Collins Street Sunday traffic.

King Kong has a thin story line and I really did not like the music. I may be gay, but torch songs are not for me. However, I really felt I had my money's worth, $130, for the special effects, the brilliant lighting, the energetic dancing and of the King Kong 'puppet' himself. After all the fuss and superlatives I had heard, I was prepared to be disappointed, but I wasn't.  My only real criticism is that it was too loud, the loudest I have ever experienced in a live theatre. Ex Sis in Law mentioned it too. We are getting old, I lamented. The male performers and dancers received the loudest applause. Make of that, what you will, but it may say something about the make up of the audience.

Spoiler Alert:
King Kong dies. I did not know.

A blurry photo of the crowd exiting the theatre. 


The show was in my favourite theatre too, saved from demolition by union bans, and then later restored. Even the seats are comfortable, such a rarity.

We left the theatre and set off to Chinatown to our frequently visited, Lemon  Bistro, a Thai restaurant operated by Vietnamese, as usual. Ex Sis in Law called Non Dreaded Nephew as we were leaving to go back to the Highrise and he joined us there with his partner and Ex Sis in Law's ever so cute dog. 'What's that building?' asked Non Dreaded Nephew's partner when she was out on the balcony looking at the synagogue. So much for her Jewish credentials.

Ex Sis in Law did not have a Myki, so the second spare came in useful for her trip from town back to the Highrise.

Coffee and tea, crisps and biscuits were about all we had to offer the unexpected returnees. After much merriment, laughter and chat, everyone left.

But there was some momentous news. It was a little early for us to be told as it is early days, but Hippy Niece let the cat out of the bag. There was discussion about payment for tickets and Hippy Niece said to older Niece, it is ok. I will pay. Think of it as an extra baby bonus (Federal Government grant). That did not go unnoticed by R or myself. I left it to mention to R later.

'Oldest Niece,' I asked at the theatre, 'do you want a glass of wine before we go in?' 'No thanks Uncle. I am not drinking'. And then it all came out. R accused her. She is pregnant, only a few weeks. So, I will be a great uncle. Ohhhh, that sounds very old, but not as old as Mother becoming a great grandmother.

Funny, R and I had discussed this in the past and we always concluded she would be the first. We also concluded that while she tolerated us as a teen, she would come into her own as she got older, and so she has. She is probably most like her mother of the three. The three of them exhibit that you don't need to have a great education. Your childhood home can be untidy and chaotic. Your parents can separate and your mother find a new partner. None of that matters and I am envious of their 'brought up on love' childhoods. They all have what R and I see as disorganised lives, but they are just so gorgeously friendly and loving.

My other much younger niece, Little Jo, may well the smartest of them all, but will she be the loving person that they all are? Hmmm, I can see who might be pushing me around in a wheel chair in the park and I doubt it will be Little Jo, but you never know.

I am a little surprised at myself though. One of my first thoughts was, you aren't married lass! You are living in sin. Pondering now, she has been with her partner for what must be six years. They have bought a house together, although about two years ago, Mother mentioned that they had been having issues, but judging now, I think they are pretty sound.

Family name? The family name does continue on but only directly by Non Dreaded Nephew and one of my uncles who has two boys,  who would be getting close to 40. I don't know if they have children. I suppose three lines of the name  is enough.





30 comments:

  1. King Kong dies
    Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to be a great-aunt myself. my niece G is due to have her baby in four weeks, she came to visit recently and is looking very well.
    How could you not know that king Kong dies??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first time River? Nice. I did kind of knew he died but the kiddies didn't.

      Delete
  3. oh River he was being facetious. The story is like SPLASH - society kills anybody who exhibits individualness. Sadly, Michael Jackson just came to mind.
    I too am envious of anybody brought up in a cuddly atmosphere of care and love. Right now my father is on his deathbed and I am weary of explaining to all callers that I do not need to be anywhere near him.
    I hope the new babe gets a good name, maybe one of it's great uncle's names. Last Melbourne babe I encountered was named 'Fox'. so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em Stacks, I did not see my father towards the end. Why would I want to see skin and bones and he not know who I was? I prefer my memories of him being healthy and active.

      Diane B has a grandson called Fox. I like it.

      I suppose we had care and love, but it was never cuddly, unlike Ex Sis in Law with her kids. They all adore her.

      Delete
  4. I am not into musicals normally, but we received two tickets, dolled up and went. And you are spot on. The story line is absurd but the special lighting effects, the music and King Kong's movements are sensational!!

    However I loathe American accents put on by Australian actors for an Australian audience. Certainly King Kong was a Hollywood story, first produced in 1933, but the costumes and lighting takes care of the original setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, dolled up we didn't but that is not usual for us. Funnily, I was thinking about accents myself while the performance was underway. I felt a neutral Australian accent would have been fine and the American one unnecessary. Maybe if they learn their lines using an Australian accent, it is much harder to change if they take the show to the US.

      Delete
  5. I not sure, I haven't been to a musical for a long time, they are everywhere now, why no new stories only old ones rehashed.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, while it was a few years ago now, Dusty (Springfield) was a new one made here and first performed here and toured the world. I think tried and true musicals give a pretty good box office return.

      Delete
  6. The trailers I've seen on the idiot box look fab, special effects-wise, I did wonder how they could turn it into a (believable) musical...poor Fay Wray will be twirling in her grave, somewhere.
    I like the name Fox for either boy or girl, far better than George.
    So, you;ll have to do the obligatory baby sitting again, soon, for the next generation, Gra-Gra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, with the size of the family, we won't get a look in.

      Delete
  7. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - the monkey dies?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry MC, but I am afraid it does.

      Delete
  8. A baby out of wedlock?
    I'm shocked and dismayed that such nocturnal naughtiness goes on in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Craig, we are known as Australia's only Victorian city and supposedly Victorian in attitudes too, but we aren't really. We are artistic and wear lots of black and berets, apparently.

      Delete
    2. I salute you brother Che.

      Delete
  9. No ways, I had no idea that the gorilla bit the dust!
    BTW whatever happened to our good friend RH? He's been jolly well quiet for a long while now! Sshhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Fen, don't mention him. Life is so much easier. Still, he could be very interesting, but interesting comes at a price.

      Delete
  10. The news that I was a great-aunt delighted me so much I went to work and became an extrovert for two minutes.
    "Great Aunt?", my work mates responded, "Probably more like average..."

    Forget the monkey, I'm still sad about the wee doggy:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it in one FC. You are too smart. I am underwhelmed but I put a great face on it! See Fen's comment about the dog. I think that may well be it.

      Delete
  11. Hang on a minute...you aren't married either, which means you are living in sin too. So you can't be judging niece, even if only by thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, such an accusation. R and I are just good friends. Surely you don't think we....ewww, how distasteful.

      Delete
  12. I love a musical but tbh would rather see a bunch of tap dancers strutting their stuff than a mechanical thingy. Though, I have heard it's quite the spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly M, until I saw the show.

      Delete
  13. ps: congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Uncle Andrew has a nice ring to it :) i'm a really great aunt, three time over..it's fab, mainly because we are a snuggly, cuddly family :)) babies..I love them, even more so now when I know eventually they'll go home!! Glad you enjoyed Kong, sounds like it was a fun family night out...still thinking of poor wee doggie though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Grace, so you are good bit older than you appear to be!

      I think the family is now blocking the memory and forgetting.

      Delete
    2. Not really Andrew :)) my sister had her two (my niece and nephew) when she was young.. but I have to say I do feel pretty ancient tonight :)

      Delete