Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A visit to the Bellarine

Little Jo's Spanish is coming along and ever so much better than mine or Sister's or anyone else we know. Pore favour?


How many bicycles do two women and a child need? Six, plus two blade scooters and a child bike extension. I have Sister's old bike and it must be nearly twenty years old, which I could suggest as a reason for not riding it. Sloth may be another. I did ride it South Melbourne to get a hamburger and chips a couple of years ago. Exercise is so good for one.


Sister and Bone Doctor are both inclined to be thrifty, except with spending on bicycles and anything sporting related, but I noticed the price on this jar of peanut butter is $8. It came from a local farmer's market and after trying some, it is probably worth it. I calculated it down the 23.0198 cents per peanut.


The man who lives behind Sister is building a boat. Apparently he has been at it for years and been building his boat for years too. Occasionally boat building noises can be heard. It is very large and his driveway small, so will probably have to be craned out. I look forward to the You Tube vid of boat falling on house.


The local medical practice adds a metal disc with the child's name engraved on the face if they are clients of the clinic. Yes, Little Jo's is there. Of course the disc is promptly removed if the child dies, medical malpractice or not.


This bird and another of the same breed were either squabbling or their antics was mating related. What a ruckus as they dived, darted and dodged. They were quite unperturbed by the three of us and a dog. I don't have a clue what breed they are. I think they were probably sex crazy. The filth of them.


We visited a nearby housing development which is undergoing a massive expansion. I thought the houses would have been somewhat larger and grander, however, they actually suit the locality. I found what look like driveways running straight into the lake amusing. I guess they are for launching boats. I would so not want to be a visitor who might attempt to drive home while a little tipsy. It was quite windy, so no boats were out. I was hoping to rant about McMansions in ecologically sensitive areas. Fail.


There was swan or two, and some cygnets. They have their own sheltered island in the centre of the lake, yet the mad critters were out in the wind doing purposeless things such as eating.


And a pretty good kid's playground, of which I took no photos. You can google image child's playground if you aren't quite sure what one might look like. It has a rather good spinning dish that you sit in and propel yourself. We were warned. Don't let Little Jo stay in it long and not too fast. The last time she vomited over the dog.


I thought this house number surround was great, perhaps better without the number which rather spoils it.


We came home loaded with vegetables from Sister's garden, most of which were thrown out, except for the spinach (not pictured) which R has tried to insert in every dish since. Lamb loin chops with three veg and spinach. Omlette with spinach. Frittata with spinach. Curried chick peas and pumpkin with spinach. Steak, Greek salad with spinach on the side. A couple of leaves were left. I chucked them out before they were used to top a pavlova.


With Sister somewhat incapacitated post surgery, we didn't venture very far, only to the local Sunday Market. R had made a salmon and dill quiche, which we was nice and light for Sunday lunch, and he left them with a Sheperds Pie for later in the week. Things were quite under control and we did little more to help than bring some washing in from the clothes line. Sister has decided to employ a cleaner for a couple of hours a week until she is fully recovered. What the bet the cleaner stays on.

23 comments:

  1. Best wishes to your sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I look forward to the You Tube vid of boat falling on house'

    I notice you carefully avoided stating which house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hopefully his Victor, and not some innocent.

      Delete
  3. In the 60s when we lived in Port Moresby, in a brand new block of flats, on a very steep hill, a bloke in the flat behind built a concrete boat, it was huge. I used yo have a beer with him while he was working on it. I said to him one day, 'how are you going to get this thing down to the sea?' He thouught about it for a while, scratched his head and said. 'I haven't really thought about that yet!'. It is probably still there, 44 years later. Whoever owns it now still hoping for a tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, there are just so many questions that arise in my mind about a concrete boat, but I'll leave them unsaid. You could google earth and check if it is still there. Funny if it was.

      Delete
  4. It seems you were in a rather witty/droll mood when writing this post :) Hope Sis is recovering well. As for children in playgrounds all I can say is "poor doggie".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was I really FC? More droll, I think. Little Jo is pretty good with the dog, probably better than I was at her age.

      Delete
  5. You came home loaded with vegetables from your sister's garden, which is something I would relish. Home grown fruit, vegetables and herbs look better, smell better and taste far better than shop-bought stuff.

    But I wouldn't take more than you can use in a couple of days. Or ring me and I will use them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I may have exaggerated a little about throwing them out. It was bad work times for home cooking that week. She just loaded us up with the vegies. I told her she shouldn't be bending down post surgery. I can't wait for summer tomatoes.

      Delete
    2. Actually I have orange, grapefruit, lemon trees, herb gardens, spring onions, leeks, potato etc. But I have never succeeding in growing tomatoes!

      Delete
  6. Snap! After I found that the first jar of Daryls peanut butter was worth it, I bought 3 jars when the farmers market rolled around again. The brand-name jars at Krapworths are nearly $8 anyhow, and only God knows what cyanide stabilisers are in theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I have heard you like to google. Try googling Daryl. There was a barely comprehensible piece from NZ written about his connection to an East Euro crim.

      Delete
  7. There are loopy backyard boatbuilders everywhere - often seen from trains going behind suburban houses on the Sandringham line.
    Those crazy birds are plovers and they always keep their brown eggs in the centre of a wide open space ... like a carpark, a vacant lot waiting for the builders, a traffic roundabout in a major road ... and I am amazed they are not extinct. their chicks must learn to fly away pretty damn quick is all I can think.
    Sis will recuperate swiftly on a diet of fresh organic veg, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thanks. They breed in the nearby sand dunes and there are 'plover protectors' who patrol the beach to ensure dogs stay out of the dunes.

      Delete
  8. A busy post I don't know where to start commenting. Maybe the last part. Nice to hear you are helping out recovering sister. The estate looks quite nice and eco friendly. You are so lucky to have fresh vegetables how could you throw them out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, to help was our intention but Bone Doctor's mother stayed a few days over the last weekend and had things very ship shape. We did keep the vegies until they spoilt, but we did eat most of them.

      Delete
  9. What, you don't like spinach pavlova?
    it's eggs and spinach and cream, really, a quiche in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of it like that River, but you did leave out the sugar.

      Delete
  10. I wish your sister a speedy recovery Andrew. And also, I'm now craving peanut butter lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Don't you call peanut butter something else?

      Delete
  11. Scrambled eggs with feta and spinach is one of my very fav brekkies. I must admit I incorporate spinach as much as I can I'm Popeye the sailor man....see that's what eventually happens :)))) recovery vibes to your sister, keep the cleaner..I would :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could do with a cleaner ourselves Grace, never mind her. In our case, laziness.

      Delete