Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A sexist abbott

Aspiring Prime Minister Abbott described one of his candidates for a seat in the forthcoming election as having sex appeal. I couldn't see it, but that it is no surprise.

Imagine ex Prime Minister Julia Gillard describing a male election candidate as having sex appeal?

Worse still perhaps, what about ex leader of The Greens, Bob Brown, who is gay, describing a male candidate as having sex appeal? Appalled from North Balwyn* would be apoplectic.

What kind of dinosaur is Abbott? A damned dangerous one for women, in my opinion. If you are wealthy farmer, a rich business person, a mining company owner or you live in a marginal, then vote for him if you must, but he does not offer much to rest of Australia.

I don't know who I will vote for. While I am Green and inclined, I don't like their immigration policies, which I do intend reading before I vote, but I don't feel like I have a party to vote for at all. I'm afraid I am very much old style Labor, and while The Greens fulfil some of what the old Labor Party stood for but I have too many issues with them. There is no one for me to vote for. Is there a Hitler running anywhere? Perhaps I will vote for him if he speaks with passion.

* Tunbridge Wells for you Poms. With correspondents in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Scotland, Wales, London, Amsterdam, France, Belgium, Rhodesia! and maybe somewhere in the US, what is your bible bashing, conservative and very middle class suburb or town?


13 comments:

  1. It's all rather depressing, Andrew. Hobson's choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, is it because we are getting older or are they really worse than ever?

      Delete
  2. He does seem rather pillock-ish to me as an outsider. I don't see him as statesman like at all. I have a feeling that his narrow lead may evaporate as the polling day nears and voters are faced with the reality that he could be PM.
    I don't much like KR either but he does at least appear statesmanlike.
    You'd think Australia could come up with better candidates. Mind you, it's the same in most countries, ourselves included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Craig, our best politicians lack the rat cunning to kick their way to the top and become leaders. They just quietly work away for their electorates and on committees.

      Delete
  3. They are all like little kids fighting and arguing about not much all the time, not much production anywhere, it is a problem not much talent being displayed.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you reckon Merle? Send them to their rooms for time out?

      Delete
  4. The Donkey sounds like the best candidate this time round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempting Allan, but I would still have to check their names against the alphabet to ensure the Abbott did not get votes.

      Delete
  5. I don't like either of them and really don't know what I will do on voting day. I'm giving serious thought to putting aside a few dollars to pay the fine for not voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny River, I was thinking of the same today and wondering if I could think of a good enough excuse for me not voting.

      Btw, I am so sorry about your son's crisis on the 7th of September. You are such a good mother and had to be there for him.

      Delete
  6. Ha Ha, I'm a bit slow today, old neck injury playing up and I'm full of painkillers at the moment. For a minute I wondered if I was crazy since September isn't here yet....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyday Abbott offends some section of the community, surely if he keeps talking he'll dig his own grave.. Someone said to me the other day that our politicians were embarrassing, I replied that really if you look at the big picture they aren't anymore embarrassing than politicians all over the world, in fact they're quite tame don't you think? Abbott is a definite NO, so for me that only leaves one option and I'd never miss my right to cast my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think our politicians are embarrassing, especially our leaders. Obama is so statesman like. But for us, Howard, Gillard and Rudd really lack something. After God Gough, nothing has compared since.

      Delete