Friday, July 05, 2013

Wobble it, Just wobble it

You may recall seeing this video when I posted it back in 2011, http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/wild-ride.html Unfortunately the video I embedded has been removed. But nothing ever disappears on the internet. You can see it here or just search You Tube for Tacoma Narrows Bridge. It is quite dramatic footage. It was about 1940 when it collapsed. Some 70 years later, engineering standards and understanding of forces are much better, but were they when London's Millennium Bridge was built, a mere 14 years ago? It seems not.

The footbridge crosses River Thames between Blackfriars rail bridge and Southwark Bridge, effectively linking St Pauls to the Tate Modern. Its construction began in 1998 for a 2000 opening and what a swaying disaster to London pride it turned out to be. It was closed later on the day of its opening, reopened the next day to restricted numbers, and then closed.

An extra £5 million and two years later it reopened and has never swayed again, yet still retains its nickname among some Londoner's of the Wobbly Bridge. I am not going into the technical reasons of why it wobbled because it is very much tech talk, but how about a video?




8 comments:

  1. Must have been designed by Rolf Harris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, as I saw "Rolf", I was alert. Yes, I get your point.

      Delete
  2. Poor Rolf.....
    I wonder if he can see what it is yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, poor Rolf or regretful Rolf?

      Delete
  3. Remember when our West Gate Bridge collapsed in October 1970, killing 35 ordinary working lads? I get so angry when engineering projects aren't properly engineered before crises occur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, is not engineering quite a precise skill? How does it go wrong so often? I have seen it in my own workplace.

      Delete
  4. Well that was fascinating Andrew..I got this image of a big sign as you approached a bridge..'walk this way' no waddling allowed :) gosh is nothing simple anymore..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, or perhaps 'do not keep time when walking. Random steps only please'.

      Delete