Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Where Sister lives

Sister lives in a Borough, the only Borough in Victoria. The rest of us live in a council area, either a City or a Shire. Sister's Borough is poor, because the Borough is small and has not many properties, and so not much income. There are no high rise apartment buildings where Sister lives only houses and small businesses; a good number of the houses only holiday places.

Where Sister lives has a minimal income base but it is also a posh place. I have observed the people walking their dogs and they are not poor people. There is a private primary school in the borough, but the government schools are so good, there is little temptation for parents to lay out large sums for private education. While Sister is a teacher in a private school, she sees no need for Little Jo to have a private primary school education.

So although it is not a rich council, the local community spirit has to be experienced to believed. On the Bellarine Peninsular, think of what is like a country town at the seaside full of sophisticated and accepting city folk, without pretension. Sister kind of defaulted to live there and their modest house cost them a lot of money, but they could not have chosen a better place for two dykes to bring up a child in a supportive community. R loves the town and if I even mentioned an indication of wanting to move there once I retire, he would jump at it. I rather like where I live and I love Melbourne, but who knows what the future might bring. Maybe I will once again live in a house with some land and a garden. Or maybe not if I have anything to do with it.

Another old saved post published.

17 comments:

  1. Well there you go, didn't know it was the only borough. Haven't been down that way in eons, must make an effort some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I've only learnt about the areas since my Sister moved there, and it is very very nice.

      Delete
  2. The ideal place for me to live is outside but close to a big city which in my case is Brussels, only 15 km far !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gattina, you have to have grass for Oscar.

      Delete
  3. Anywhere near the beach is good.
    Lighthouses, that's what they've got over there.
    Right now I am in Rosebud after a non-stop drive from Ballarat. Never want to see the tunnels or eastlink again so tomorrow I will be on the ferry to Queenscliffe/the Bellarine and thankfully back west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em Stacks, also a fog horn at the lighthouse and it has been busy. Not cheap on the ferry, but a much more pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried googling it but all I could find was Borough of Queenscliffe. Is that it? or is that a different town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh, oh I get it. A borough not borough. I really need to read more slowly (or think more quickly).

      Delete
    2. That's it Craig. The township of Queenscliff is in the Borough of Queensliffe. Note the different spelling. The other town in the Borough is Point Lonsdale.

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of your Sister's Borough Andrew, I can see yourself and R retiring there in a small property with garden, there's just the small matter of winning the lotto and all will be good! When I win it I'm retiring to Cottesloe, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, win Lotto and we can have both. He can live there and I will stay here.

      Delete
  7. R is spot on! Prettiest part of Victoria! I would love a modest 2-bedroom beach shack, anywhere _along the open ocean_ as far as Torquay. Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale, Barwon Heads etc.. and all within easy commute of Geelong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Hels, also more bayside, Portarlington, St Leonards and Indented Head.

      Delete
  8. If I had the chance of an affordable-for-me small house with a bit of yard I'd jump in with both feet at once. No dilly-dallying at all. but if that sort if thing isn't for you, then compromise must be reached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we have had a big house and smaller houses and a unit. I got over gardening after thirty years of it I am happier here than anywhere before.

      Delete
  9. At first I thought you were referring to Eaglehawk... a Borough but it looks like there is another one... ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Christine. I said Queenscliffe was the only borough in Victoria. I was wrong. Ah no, I was right. Kennett abolished the Borough of Eaglehawk now City of Bendigo. I don't know why Queenscliffe wasn't incorporated into Geelong, but there you go.

      Delete