Saturday, July 06, 2013

Unconvincing

I received one of these phishing emails from a bank once,  the bank I actual use and it was very well done, so well done I felt the need to alert my bank to it and they sounded appreciative of me doing so. They probably weren't really, but better to be nice.

I'm afraid this one, supposedly from my isp and telephone company, just does not cut the mustard. If the dodgy English wasn't a give away, I very much doubt an Australian company would ask an Australia citizen with an Australian address for their zip code. If you don't know, we call them post codes.

I've just remembered something. Years ago some sites would want you to verify your address by entering your zip code. More than once I found recalling the tv show Beverley Hills 90210 useful.


Dear BigPond Account User:

Your e-mail needs to be updated with our released F-Secure Internet
Security 2013 new version of a better resource webmail spam and viruses.
If you have not upgraded your account, click reply and fill in the
columns below to send it back so we can update our database account
immediately. Failure to update will process your BigPond account being
temporarily blocked or suspended from our network and may not be able to
receive or send e-mail due to the update.

Fill the column below:

USERNAME:
PASSWORD:
PHONE NUMBER:
DATE OF BIRTH:
SERVICE ADDRESS ZIP CODE:

We apologize for the inconvenience; we are here to make it look better
webmail in 2013.

BigPond
Case Number: 937117915 Property
Account Security
©2013

7 comments:

  1. Morons!
    I received a lovely invitation just yesterday asking me to share £93M from a ladies death bed in Singapore.
    The internet is a wonderful thing (I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, it was kind of them to convert the figure from Singapore dollars to pounds sterling.

      Delete
  2. We all win millions of dollars a few times over.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we live in hope that one day an email may arrive from an Australia solicitor with a name we recognise.

      Delete
  3. LOL "we are here to make it look better
    webmail in 2013."

    Very convincing, I hope you filled it in right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, just reminded me of a Pay Pal one I received some time ago. It was phishing, but pretty good. Now I don't trust any Pay Pal emails and don't look at them.

      Delete
    2. ha ha funny you say that, I never open pay pal emails! They always look dodgy!

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.