Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Block, the Royal and MU

I apologise if I get the Block Arcade and the Royal Arcade mixed up. They are both wonderful. The Block Arcade turns 120 years old this year.

The entrance to the Block Arcade. Guided tours are available on some weekdays. I will join one when a day off co-incides with a tour. The woman who conducts the tours is very passionate and a wealth of information.


Testiliclated Tessellated tiled entrance. 

 

I think this is the roof of Block Arcade. What a clever use of pink.



 

Straight to your hips darlin'. Our friend in Japan took afternoon tea in the Hopetoun Tea Rooms during her last visit to Melbourne.

 

 I am in Royal Arcade now.


Gog and Magog strike the time. See the video below.


The Manchester Unity building is one of my absolute favourite buildings in the city.
Yes, it is nerdy, but I like riding in old lifts.


It can't really be a skylight, just an illuminated dome.


A lovely art deco clock in the building's extensive entrance hall. The time was wrong.


Low light was not good for taking photos and the distance made using the flash pointless. There were a lot of reliefs and and pictures, some of which looked somewhat homoerotic to me.


I left the lift at random floor and came across this nice stained glass.


This is the old cage lift well, now used for pipes and ducts.


It was probably a serious mistake to not get there at twelve noon rather than 1pm. The video would have been much livelier. At about 20 seconds Magog strikes the gong. Given it was nearly two minutes past the hour when he struck the gong, you are doing well to not sit there staring at nothing for two minutes. I kept turning the recorder on and off.


21 comments:

  1. I love both arcades and the building - stunning. Can I have that lift in my house please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lift is quite impressive Craig, although not original.

      Delete
  2. I never got to have tea and cakes in that beautiful tea shop. The queue was out the door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, as you can see there was no queue, but not longer after about ten people were lined up to get in.

      Delete
  3. aaah Royal Arcade contains my favourite jewellery store! And as Fun60 said, there's always a huge queue at Hopetoun every time I go, so I just admire from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW the Open House thingy is coming up, maybe this year I'll actually get organised....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, we hope to see a few buildings on Saturday. I must start to look at what is open.

      Delete
  5. You have dug up some interesting places here. Love the arcades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, they are also a shortcut between streets, so they have a lot of through foot traffic.

      Delete
  6. Yes they are really beautiful, mixed up or not !
    You should have taken the video at 12 lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I am so stupid. Of course I should have.

      Delete
  7. The Arcades look lovely. I like our old Adelaide Arcade better than the Regent Arcade which has been upgraded a bit to fit in with the new Rundle place I believe. I'll have to check next time I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, which one were we in. I would have to go back and check the Adelaide holiday posts, but it was on the beach side of Rundle Mall.

      Delete
  8. I always have to stop and think which is which too, even though I walk through them every working day. I love them both. I try not to look in the window of the tea room.

    I also need to get my act together re Open House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I guess it because they are kind of linked. I am expecting some great photos from you at open house places. I think there is one in Punt Road open.

      Delete
  9. I always confuse the two as well! They are both beautiful spaces but The Block Arcade, to me it just stunning - not just because Haighs is there (wonder if it's still there...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, I didn't notice Haighs the last time I was there, but it wasn't long ago that I felt the need for some chocolate covered aniseed rings.

      Delete
  10. The Royal Arcade is so-so. The Block Arcade is flash. The Manchester Unity building is my fave in the whole of Melbourne [except for St Francis']
    No visitor escapes alive unless they first see both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like St Francis too FC. It's stylish without being monstrous.

      Delete
  11. Both fabulous Andrew, I want the lift with the glass dome also..mind you I'd have to build another storey onto my house but eh! it would be worth it :) It's been so long since I was last there, maybe the next time I come over to Sydney would be a good time to pop over for a couple of days..Aimee always says the very best shopping is in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you should visit Melbourne. There is a lot to like about it.

      Delete