Monday, July 01, 2013

My Local ABC

School holidays are upon us and ABC Melbourne radio presenters have disappeared, even though most are too old to have children in school. I don't like dissing people and I quite like Sally Warhaft as a guest on radio, but not as a replacement for Faine. I find her laborious in the extreme. I am used to Australia's premier local radio broadcaster Jon Faine being lightning fast and snappy. (note, the link accuses Faine of being left wing. While I think he has a social conscience, I don't consider him a Comrade)

One day Faine will retire. Who will replace him? A few come to mind who have performed well as fill ins in the past. Waleed Aly (out of date info) is one. He was initially a bit monotone, but has developed broadcasting skills. Ali Moore (out of date. She lives in Singapore now) was a brilliant fill in for Faine a few years ago and is high on my list, but my vote would go to Virginia Trioli. She is just magnificent, and Virginia, if you read this, mornings on ABC Melbourne is an exalted position and you would have high respect should you choose what would surely an open option to you.

One more post cleared. I am getting the backlog down.


10 comments:

  1. I can have no opinion of any of the above Andrew, but for your sake I hope Virginia takes over from Faine, it seems you hold her in very high esteem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I mentioned as a prospect are very good Grace.

      Delete
  2. Obviously I'm not familiar with any of them Andrew. But I assume that they are several levels above calling hospital switchboards?
    Your ABC sounds a bit like our BBC Radio 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I should think so. It is properly known as ABC Local Radio and there are many around Australia, all doing their own local broadcasting. ABC Melbourne is mostly a local talk station with the focus on Melbourne, but not entirely.

      Delete
  3. I really can't stand Sally, something about her voice really irritates me.

    I'd vote for Waleed or Virginia. I may fancy Waleed just a little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Fen. I may fancy Waleed rather a lot too, for his intelligence, of course.

      Delete
    2. oh Andrew, I only ever fancy people for their intelligence...

      Delete
  4. ABC Local Radio (which I think is their 'correct' title) in Sydney does very well in the ratings but still comes second by quite a margin to 2GB with its 24/7 Labor bashing programming.

    Adam Spencer is the current morning presenter on ABC Local Radio here and he is retiring later in the year. Spencer has always polarised listeners who seem either to love or hate him and very few have middling feelings about him. It will be interesting to see who replaces him. Meanwhile Alan Jones at that other station continues to lead the field by three lengths of the straight (or some similar racing hyperbole).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, ABC Melbourne does exceptionally well against commercial radio. Faine, mornings, beat the commercial competitor soundly this rating period. But the radio cultures of our respective cities are quite different, as I am sure you know.

      I only know Spencer from tv, where he is entertaining enough, and while I know he is a smart bloke, I am not sure I would be enamoured by him on morning radio. There is good talent in Sydney for ABC Local. Who will they come up with? I think I can see some grooming happening here with Waheed Aly.

      I hope you don't really know, but is Jones'radio station full of funeral parlour ads like 3AW is here?

      Delete
    2. Funeral parlour ads? I don't think so.

      Delete