Monday, July 22, 2013

Matters digital

Mother's hairdresser has her in terror of tv set top boxes. Mother, what we are giving you is not exactly a set top box. More like like a digital recorder that will do the job of a set top box, but it is sophisticated. R says we kiddies should just buy Mother a digital tv. We will see how she goes with this machine. We may have to buy her a digital tv when the analogue signal is shut down at the end of the year.

My pocket digital radio had gone wrong. I switch it on and it is on my usual radio station, 774 Melbourne,  but then it starts scanning. If I want to change stations, like to News Radio or Desi Pop when I get fed up with 774 playing music on a talk station, I have to press the button and catch the station as it is scanned past. This might take me five minutes. It is like hitting a totem tennis ball as it passes you by. Timing is everything.  Painful.

I hadn't used my bedside digital clock radio for a week or so. I set it to wake me. The alarm went off at 6.00. I switched the radio on. The digital radio corrected the time and the alarm went off again as the time was corrected backwards.

Our last tv channel scan had multiple ABC and SBS stations of the same. Every station was there twice. When selecting recording from the programme guide, it chose the weak signal second station.  It was ridiculous that it happened. I deleted the superfluous stations and all was well again, but I shouldn't have to do that. 

I am not so sure about all this digital stuffs.

13 comments:

  1. Stuffs is a good word for it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, stuffs that make our lives simpler and easier.

      Delete
  2. ABC and SBS being doubled up might be because of a repeater in your area. I believe that there is transmitter on the Como Centre in South Yarra. Have a look at the http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/ site. I seem to remember comments there about tuning into two transmitters....

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polomint, thanks. That makes sense up to a point. It hasn't happened before and why would one signal be so weak when we have line site of both transmitters. I will have a look at that site. Just thought of something. A new highrise has gone up and we no longer have line of sight with Como. I bet that has something to do with it.

      Delete
  3. Why buy a digital recorder when you may have to get a digital TV later? Just buy the digital TV, which may cost more than the recorder, but isn't that better than paying for two items? once our analogue signal wa switched off a few months ago, I found I no longer received any of the SBS channels. I never watch them anyway, so it doesn't bother me, but if I'd had to bother with reprogramming to get them I would have been annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we have a spare digital recorder, a single tuner model that R bought for his bedroom but he didn't realise how limiting a single tuner would be. It should just be a matter of doing a scan of all channels to get SBS and maybe some other new stations.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I could have scanned in the SBS channels, but as I said, I don't watch them so didn't bother. The digital recorder makes sense since you already have one spare.

      Delete
  4. Yeah just get a digital tv, they're cheap enough nowadays.
    My digital radio in the bedroom regularly decides to drop the signal completely, it's so frustrating. I have to shift it about until it comes back, but then when I move away the signal goes again. It's like a battle of the wills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cheap Fen, but as I said to River, we have a spare digital recorder. The signal in my bathroom is a bit dodgy, so I have to face the radio in a certain direction.

      Delete
  5. Meanwhile radio wise, I'm still fudging around with trying to turn the dial so that it's *exactly* right and doesn't get the "fuzzies" on my old analogue. But to tell you the truth I kinda love the old analogue dial tuners. Something nice about feeling your way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M, now don't tell me your radio has 3KZ and 3AK marked on the dial. I prefer the sound from analogue radio, if it is a good signal.

      Delete
  6. The ONLY digital 'stuffs' I'm sure of is my camera Andrew, the rest c'est un mystère :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I tried to wirelessly transfer camera images from the camera to the computer. Fail.

      Delete