Saturday, July 27, 2013

It's all John's fault

That would be the too scruffy to be gay John Gray in Wales, who lives in a village with a name I cannot pronounce. Is anything in Wales pronounceable? Tradie Brother has a Welch name and that is pronounceable at least and Bone Doctor's brother has the same same name. Anyway, John kept banging on about Scotch Eggs. He confessed he may well be slim and trim if he held off on the Scotch Eggs. R used to cook Scotch Eggs for dinner at times, some 25 plus years ago. We had a deep fryer then and they were plunged into the hot fat and they were delicious. Essentially they are a boiled egg, surrounded by I think a mixture of sausage meat and mince meat and bread crumbs and then deep fried.

Well, with John continually mentioning Scotch Eggs, I had developed a hunger for them. I wanted to revisit the past. Sweetie, you work in and around Port Melbourne. There is a Thomas Dux store there. Can you see if they have pre made Scotch Eggs? (nb Thomas Dux may sound like a posh independent store, but it is owned by Woolworths).

The store did have them, at $6 each ouch (labour intensive I guess), and..........well, they really should been best left as a great memory. They were rather ordinary and nothing like I remember them. Maybe it was because they were pre cooked and did not get into the hot fat at home. They really need to be home made, with a pinch of love added.

Photo from the ScentOfGreenBananas. The breadcrumbs are too thick though.




15 comments:

  1. They sure do look delicious though. I might have to try and make them at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shan't Ad Rad. I can see me getting into a terrible mess trying to make the mince stick to the egg.

      Delete
  2. I must be a little clunky myself. Been experiencing with egg omelettes and poached eggs and frittas(sic) all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, perhaps eggs are the new 'in' food.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I think I'll stick with my poached eggs thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, don't knock them until you try them. There is much worse food that comes out of Scotland, sorry Craig.

      Delete
    2. True Andrew, maybe I will try them some day.

      Delete
  4. I've never had these and probably never will. They just don't seem appealing to me and I can't see myself going to all the trouble of making them only to find out I don't like them. I'd never buy just one, not at $6 which is more than I pay for a full dozen eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes $6 is an absurd price. They are nice, but quite a lot of effort to make and make well. We were young and in love and nothing was ever too much effort.

      Delete
  5. Don't give up!! The perfect recipe MUST be out there somewhere ... if the hundreds of different ones a simple google search brings up is anything to go by! Don't let your old time memories be spoiled by one bad experience - let your quest continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I will see what DJs in town has. R knows how to make them, but we don't have the deep fryer.

      Delete
  6. Andrew; you don't need a deep fryer, you have your big soup pot, I use mine to make chips when I'm not making soup or pot roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I assume you cook the chips in oil. What do you do with it after the chips are cooked? Re-use it the next time?

      Delete
  7. I'll stick with the poached eggs also Andrew..my sister in law does make a very delish Scotch egg, but for some reason that combination always gives me indigestion, it doesn't always stop me eating them though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, I can see how they could that.

      Delete