Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The Shrine

I cannot lie. These photos were taken over two consecutive days. I arrived at the Shrine, quite close to The Highrise, and it began to rain. I silently swore a bad word. I took a few photos and the camera then shut down because the battery was flat. I said another bad word. I went to a nearby cafe and consoled myself with a long black and read The Hun. I was outside under a large umbrella but another rain shower arrived and started to rain on me and the newspaper. I swore again and went home, somewhat depressed.

But the next day was bright and sunny and I was determined to return and take photos.

Construction of The Shrine of Remembrance began in 1928 and was completed in 1934.

Garden beds as I walked up the steep hill from St Kilda Road.

 

 

The sky threatens.


It wasn't an idle threat, but only ended up being a nuisance shower.


The Eternal Flame. Some idiot put it out a couple of times. He was caught and dealt with.


 This is better, sunshine, looking towards town.


Not a a bad angle. Doesn't it look so regal.



I am a short distance away along the wide gently sloping main path to the The Shrine.


I should have zoomed a bit.  The cypress trees lining the pathway are impressive.



World War II obelisk?



The grass squares are used very effectively.


Once inside, there are huge display cases of bling, all highly polished.




There are many of these alcoves.








While I don't think much will change externally, there is a huge construction project underway at The Shrine. Most of what is being built will be underground. This is looking south and somewhere in the distance The Highrise can be seen.


 I am up on the external gallery almost at the top of the Shrine and looking west.


 North west towards the city with the top of the Eureka building out of shot.


Looking east over the Observatory and its cafe, on to the Royal Botanic Gardens and with the Dandenong Ranges in the distance.


I have posted this before and here is a link to Mother on the right with her friend at the Shrine.

15 comments:

  1. It's a lovely building in a nicely maintained area. Well worth visiting.
    The medals remind me of my first husband's collection. At first he just mounted his own medals on a felt covered board, then he began collecting other medals from other wars, and eventually had three large boards, which he presented to an RSL club along with an old WW 1 uniform he'd managed to get from someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, depending on what happened to the club, there is a good chance they ended up on display somewhere like the Shrine.

      Delete
  2. if this post had a 'like' button I be 'liking'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Hope things are good with you.

      Delete
  3. I had a vaguely similar experience on Sunday. Locked myself out of the flat with 3 hours before Luke was to return. Took myself over to the Botanic Gardens to photograph things, but my battery died and I didn't have a spare. Went the the Observatory Cafe to warm up and pass some time by eating a stupidly overpriced and not very tasty cake with a hot drink. And it wasn't even that warm in there *grumble grumble*. No rain, but it got very chilly and I wasn't wearing a warm enough jacket. Attempted to warm myself on the Eternal Flame but it wasn't very effective.

    The Shrine is a very imposing building though. We're lucky to live close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn Jayne. What a pain. Why are places like the Ob Caf always so overpriced for questionable food and drinks? Lol at warming yourself with the eternal flame.

      Delete
  4. I always come back to the shrine, in both lectures on Remembering World War One (in art, literature, architecture, cemeteries and memorials) and in the blog.

    The shrine had an enormous struggle getting approval, even with the vigorous support of Sir John Monash. And look now!!!! It is one of Melbourne`s most famous landmarks.

    I will go back and refer to your great photos in the blog. Thanks for the link
    Hels
    http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/melbournes-shrine-built-during-terrible.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it a building, externally at least, that I am very proud of in our city.

      You wrote a better history than what is on the Shrine website. Context in history is everything.

      Delete
  5. We have a war building in Hyde Park, yours looks fancier than ours but I have not been there for many years maybe they updated ours a bit.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I have seen Sydney's from the outside. I should take a look inside when we next visit. It is quite a different building to ours, but both are nice.

      Delete
  6. I've been to Melbourne a few times but I have never seen The Shrine. It sure is impressive as too are shots of Melbourne. Full marks for persistance to get better shots in better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make a point of it Diane, and then on to the nearby Botanic Gardens. Spelling error understandable. The high speed train has given your brain a shaking.

      Delete
  7. You took really fantastic shots here Andrew, you did The Shrine proud!

    ReplyDelete