Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Selections

As River does her weekly Sunday Selections, so do I occasionally.

The gerberas with white petals and black centres looked quite dramatic.



I know most of the flowers to be seen at a flower stall, but I haven't a clue what these are called.


An opening at QV. The Shophouse Kitchen looks very gay. In some Asian countries are shops with accommodation above, and they are called shophouses. I have embraced the term to describe our many Victorian era shophouses.


City apartment living. Tell you visitors to come by train, tram or bus as there is no where to park. Who wants to drive in the city anyway. It's a nightmare.


And if you intend spending much time at one of Melbourne's many rooftop bars, then it may be also wise to come by train, or go home by one at least.


Marvellous deco which I think is now student accommodation, looms over the Cross Culture Church of Christ, originally known as Swanston Street Church of Christ.


Blending modern architecture smoothly with period architecture.  Who vomited slime over Story Hall?


I see the sea and the lake. It was a sunny but cold day and the yachts were out in full force, doing whatever yachts do.  Jutting out into the lake is the upmarket restaurant The Point that usually puts on a New Years Eve fireworks show. It has a small spiral stand alone tower to climb. I was going to cut most of the buildings out. Should I have?


R's Sister and Bro in Law gave us this gift before they returned to England. We aren't great ones for cacti, but it does add some winter colour.


Outside St Pauls are seats for the homeless and alcoholics. Only tourists take any notice of the sign. TV quote: "I'm a ladeee".

25 comments:

  1. Cacti are easy. Just spray with water once a week. And resist over-watering and lots of sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, we were advised a monthly water in summer and no water in the winter. Misting would increase humidity. Good for a cactus?

      Delete
  2. Those cacti are bright and happy looking, I have one that I had many years and it has never flowered and so are the pink flowers.
    Why are ladies only allowed only on the seats


    and do fellows get fined if they sit there.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think it is historical that it was felt that women needed their own space to sit. I also think it kind of kept as a piece of history. No one has been fined to my knowledge.

      Delete
  3. What a forward thinking council you have... Benches for alcoholics and the homeless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, there is no charge if the choose to sleep on them either.

      Delete
  4. That 'slime' looks quite playful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, and so belongs in a child's toy box, not on a historic building.

      Delete
  5. "Jutting out into the lake is the upmarket restaurant The Point that usually puts on a New Years Eve fireworks show. It has a small spiral stand alone tower to climb." This looks fantastic... where is it? I want to book a table!

    And yes, cut out the roof and vents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is listed under Albert Park Hels. Ok, I will in the future deprive those interested in building ventilation etc of pictures.

      Delete
  6. Love the flowering cactus. Is that pink flower maybe a pink delphinium?
    I don't like the look of that "slime" at all. It looks like a giant piece of Lego. They should have used softer rubber instead of hard plastic. It would look more slime like, more oozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, apparently not, see below.

      It is terrible thing to do an historic building. It looks even worse in real life.

      Delete
  7. The pink flowers are a kind of orchid, sometimes sold as a 'spider orchid' or 'vanda orchid'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, spider orchid. Got it now, and memory has been revived.

      Delete
  8. That is a mixed bag. What the heck is that on the story hall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I don't know much more that it is the work of a modern architect.

      Delete
  9. I'm liking the art deco building very much. What's with the "ladies only"? I can't figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, Melbourne has some fine deco buildings and that is one of them. It is just a seat for ladies.

      Delete
  10. I love your Sunday selection, such an eclectic mix showing us your surroundings. If I had known about the free, outdoor accomodation for ladies I wouldn't have bothered to check into a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun60, but I fear the benches may be a little chilly at this time of the year.

      Delete
  11. I call those pink flowers Singapore orchids, they probably have another name, but that's my name for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I call the more common ones Singapore orchids, but really, I wouldn't have a clue.

      Delete
  12. I do enjoy your Sunday selections Andrew, even though its always Monday when I see them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, god forbid that you would stay home Sunday to read my post. Much better for you to be out and about with the camera.

      Delete