Sunday, June 02, 2013

Sunday Selections

As River does each Sunday, sometimes I post a Sunday Selection of random photos.

Lordy, we wanted a peaceful walk on St Kilda Pier and we were buzzed by a drone.


This is not highly zoomed. It came damn close. Would it hurt if it hit? The operator seemed to be inexperienced. Apparently is it called a four something chopper.


What are swans doing in salt water? As we walked back along the pier, the swans paced us as they paddled towards the grass beds in the shallows. Better check Fruit Cake's post on similar for proper information. Amazing that she and I were both surprised by seeing swans in salt water on almost the same day.


Soaking up the sunshine. It was a glorious day.


Pier works, the information is online, but I just don't have the energy.


Tall masts in the foreground with tall buildings in the background.


Meanwhile back at the Highrise, we had visited a new Masters store where the Toronga drive in movie place used to be. Not long after R and I met, we went to that drive in to see Grease. Sadly, almost unbelievably now, we were both overcome with passion for each other and did not see the end. Not sure that there was much of a story anyway.

Masters had all the atmosphere of a modern shopping centre and the nearby small shopping centre had all the atmosphere of a small modern shopping centre. Praise to Masters though, for their very nice staff. While we sipped coffee, we eavesdropped on someone bragging about living in an apartment in the complex to an acquaintance. I thought luv, I thought pet, I thought luv, don't bung it on too much. You live above a hardware shop at a shopping centre.

I bought a new shower cleaning hose to replace the ten year old yellowed and cracked one. It has a kink or two. Don't we all. It will straighten out in time. While it is great for cleaning the shower, it has other uses too.


We had also visited the Port Melbourne Woolworths owned Thomas Dux supermarket. Think something like Waitrose if you are in the UK. I was amused by the Boy Bathroom Cleaner, which is somewhat stronger than the Girl Bathroom Cleaner. Boys are filthy beasts, hey Hels.


Yes, as a child I received some spit and polish, Mother's spit onto a handkerchief to polish away supposed dirt from my face.


This one is for you Victor. Yes, I know you live in the salubrious eastern suburbs and nowhere near either of such slummy places but it is Sydney and by the number of links I have made already, I am in an ingratiating mood.


Rainbows happen in the strangest of places. 


The RSPCA Million Paws Walk fundraiser. While we are barren like PM Julia and so without dog, we have participated in the past with friends who have dogs. It is only a 3.4 kilometre circuit of the lake, plus half a kilometre to get there from the Highrise. I've only done the full distance to and from home twice, the last time pleased to note there were emergency call markers. You notice these things when you get to a certain age.

16 comments:

  1. Do I have to go all the way to Rozelle and Balmain for those spices? Actually I pass by those suburbs every Wednesday on my way to/from my nursing home work.

    In fact we lived in Rozelle briefly when I was very young. I started to walk whilst we lived there in fact and both suburbs, once very working class indeed, are now rejuvenated and quite up market in parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, their closeness to the city ensures that they are now upmarket. When my paternal grandmother lived in Balmain, it was not upmarket, although her view over the docks was interesting.

      Delete
  2. Must get myself some of that boy bathroom cleaner when I get back to Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, for yourself or Nathan?

      Delete
  3. What on earth was that drone doing is a built up area - sounds positively dangerous. Is it for traffic monitoring or police work perhaps?
    A lovely selection of photos for what appears to be a glorious day out. I'm a Waitrose fan so Thomas Dux would be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, it is just a toy, albeit a pretty serious one. You don't shop at the local market?

      Delete
  4. I need some new shower cleaning products, those look lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I hope the girl bathroom cleaning product will be adequate for you.

      Delete
  5. Tsk, Andrew, so judgemental. a home is a home and location to some is irrelevant, for all you know her previous home may have been a cardboard box in an alley, or a single room somewhere.
    I'm curious about the drone, what size is it, like a remote controlled toy? Or a full sized, piloted machine? I've never seen one of those before.
    I suffered the spit and polish mum cleaning too, hated it so much I promised myself that I would never, ever use it on my kids. And I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you are judging me wrongly. It is not about your home or where you live. It is about how you describe it. If you try to sound grand about your place, then you deserve to be taken down with remarks such as the ones I made here and under my breath at the time.

      It is essentially just a remote controlled toy, but a little out of control.

      Good on you for not covering your kids with your spit.

      Delete
    2. Then I apologise, I didn't realise the girl was bragging.

      Delete
    3. River, why did you and FC below assume it was a woman? It was a bloke. I have reread the post and I can't see how it could be assumed that it was a woman, unless, I said luv, I said pet?

      Delete
  6. If I understand you, Andrew, the lady was implying she has enough room for a pony?

    Pity the drone was not close enough for you to swat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it was a bloke. Bragging blokes are worse than bragging women. We have room for a pony. He doesn't.

      Swatting it may have been a good idea. It seemed out of control.

      Delete
  7. While I was taking some shots in the park the other day, a guy was showing off in front of me with a flying helicopter,he took it too high, it cut out and crashed to the ground, he looked a wee bit embarrassed, quite rightly, twit! I'm intrigued as to what other uses your new shower cleaning hose is handy for Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, they seem difficult to control but also fun.

    Stick a feather in your cap. One person, only one person....

    ReplyDelete