Monday, June 17, 2013

Go Rafa

Has the French Open finished? It must be time for Wimbledon. Tennis. A workmate who was also an antique dealer, no, not the Brighton Antique Dealer, many years ago obtained tickets to Wimbledon and she was so excited. I am working class and so I must aspire to being middle class and pretend interest in Wimbledon, but I am not a sports watcher, although I rather like watching the pretty green countryside and villages of France during the Tour de France, never mind when it went almost past Walt's and Ken's abode.

Did you know that if all the strawberries eaten at Wimbledon were laid end to end, they would stretch to 60 kilometres? Did you know that accompanying such miles of strawberries, 7000 litres of cream would be consumed? Perhaps I could get to like tennis if it always came with strawberries and cream and if they could somehow be associated with Rafa........

13 comments:

  1. If i see Rafa at Wimbledon I'll give him your love and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, and email address please.

      Delete
  2. the strawberries with cream price would make you gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up and converted it - AU$4.10 and they assure one of 'at least 10 berries'.
    For the pleasure of the Images result, I recommend doing a search for "Wimbledon strawberries price".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a look Ann. Pretty outrageous profiteering.

      Delete
  4. Before 1969 Wimbledon was for amateur athletes, so there was a sense of it all being accessible to ordinary people. We could have afforded to get in.

    I lived for a few years in Britain, in the early middle 1970s. Only by going without food for a week *sigh*, I could afford a ticket and went to a few Wimbledons in a row,,,,fantastic atmosphere.

    The Australian men and women were winning everything back then, but in 1973 the Czech Jan KodeŇ° unexpectedly won. My husband was well pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I can imagine the atmosphere is similar to the Melbourne Open, only better. Leave the ugly crowd behaviour for the footy and soccer. I'm afraid I can't even recall hearing Jan's name. These Euro countries doing well adds much to the game.

      Delete
  5. 12 days til le Tour Andrew, i'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, maybe I will record it and have it on when I am at home during the day.

      Delete
  6. That Rafa is a little cutie. I'm guessing he is left handed, the left side of him being a little more muscular than the right.

    That Tour de whatever is coming back downunder already?? Seems like it only just left our shores........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is a clever observation about Rafa being left handed.

      No, not your Tour, the French one.

      Delete
  7. My interest for tennis stopped with Steffi Graf and Boris Becker ! I admit I played some Tennis when I was 20 but more for meeting with boys ! I had never heard of "Rafa" and first thought it was a song. See how ignorant I am. He reminds me of my son when he was 20 and had hairs hanging over his shoulder and looked like Jesus Christ ! Or at least how he was painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I think Raphael is a bit older now with shorter hair, but still very nice looking. Did you nag your son to get his hair cut?

      Delete