Thursday, June 27, 2013

Demerit Points

Tradie Brother was booked for a red light camera offence. He disputed it but the penalty stood, a fine and some demerit points. He decided to lose a day's work and go to the magistrates' court to argue his case. He was out by 10.30. Personally, I think the penalty was deserved but the magistrate pounded his gavel (ok, that is dramatic license) and said, case dismissed. One of Tradie Brother's points to the magistrate was his good driving record. I could not help but exclaim, but Brother, you lost your license for drink driving. You've been booked for speeding at least once that I know of. You you were charged at the age of 18 with careless driving when you fell off your motorbike and nearly lost your leg. How is your record so good? Who knows. The magistrate had Tradie Brother's record in front of him.

The conversation then turned to loss of points. Now I have never been booked for a driving offence in my getting on for forty years of driving, so this was an amazing conversation to me. Tradie Brother informed me about a whole family that swap points around between themselves. It couldn't possibly be his surely!  If one family member is getting close to getting the 12 points that leads to a driving license cancellation, they pass he points on to the one who has the least by saying that person was driving the offending car at the time. So they all have multiple driving offences? Extraordinary. I am not saying I never break road laws, but I am quite careful and I guess I have been a bit lucky too.

Nominating someone else to take your points is illegal, and not everyone gets away with it, as a formerly highly respected judge discovered.

Many years ago in the heat of an argument, R said to me, "Do you live in the real world?" Perhaps I don't. Perhaps I don't want to.

15 comments:

  1. Only weeks ago a British Parliamentarian and his wife were convicted (and I think gaoled) following an exchange of lost points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, quite so. Michael gives a little more detail below.

      Delete
  2. I don't drive never have, the other half earned his living as an interstate truck driver and now doesn't drive at all, funny it's not much of a problem at all.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, my late step father was and interstate truck driver for many years. It is hard job. I reckon after doing that for years, you husband now choosing to not drive is a good thing. You must have quite reasonable public transport where you live.

      Delete
  3. There was a pollie in the UK who went to jail for getting his missus to take the rap and then she outed him (the offence) to the police when he dumped her foe another woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Michael. I think if you do such a thing, you would never talk about it in public, but when everyone seems to be doing it, well....

      Delete
  4. It all sounds shady to me. I think I live in the same world as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I know some people live very different lives to people like you and myself, but how do they cope with the disorganisation and chaos?

      Delete
  5. I don't live in the real world either. I prefer my own, where everything is nice and everyone is good. And doughnuts don't have calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't have a sweet tooth at all, until someone mentions doughnuts. I want some and I want some now.

      Delete
    2. And not American ones, but Australian doughnuts.

      Delete
  6. Yes it was the sordid Chris Huhne affair here in the UK. He dumped his wife for his bisexual mistress (who happens to look like a horse) and the scorned wife told the tabloids about her taking his points many years previously. They both ended up in prison for a few weeks.
    It's a slippery slope trading points. I'm like you and have zero convictions so far thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bisexual Craig? I don't know that I care for such a thing. I think you have been here to Melbourne and so you would know we have big and fast roads and it is so easy to drive too fast.

      Delete
  7. Haha! I do enjoy your posts AND comments Andrew, so what's wrong with bisexual, it's just someone who can't make up their mind oui :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, don't tell them that.

      Delete