Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cleaning the new carpet

Now we have a new carpet, is our thirty year old vacuum cleaner appropriate? Well, yes, it works. But indulge me.

After the tv and pvr upheaval when they all had to be disconnected, I rescanned tv stations and there are some new ones. Channel 94 seems to be devoted to products to buy. While I was tv fiddling today, I noticed in the programme guide that 94 had a one hour show on the Roomba robot vacuum cleaner, and I was mesmerised. Gattina has her Oscar, that is a similar product, to mow her grass. Her alternative to her Oscar was along the lines of  Lady Chatterley. I agree with her. Her Oscar is easier than a hulky gardener.

I think I should have a Roomba.

There are issues though. Firstly the time saving where you can sit on the terrace with a drink and read a book while the Roomba does the work is problematic. I don't drink during the day, I rarely read books, in spite of my e book reader and I would find the Roomba far to interesting to watch and I would constantly monitor what it is doing and checking if it missed an area. R has said to me in the past, the washing machine is automatic, you don't need to check what it is doing every ten minutes.

Problem two, although it will clean hard surfaces such as patio tiles, dare I trust its technology to not go over the edge of the balcony if I set it free there? A brand new Roomba smashed up after a multi storey fall would be sad.

Three, our carpet really only has to be cleaned to pick up lint from clothing, mostly black socks. Will Roomba pick up lint well when our old but powerful vacuum struggles to do so? I've heard women pick up the lint on the carpet as they vacuum whereas blokes go back and forth, back and forth until the damn thing picks up the lint. I am a bloke in that area. This is your job and you will do it!

Thirdly, after over thirty years of vacuuming our floors on a Friday, in earlier mulit pet owning days daily, semi retired House Hold Management has taken on the task.Not my job.

I have a birthday in October. You could all just crowd fund me for a Roomba. I was thinking of dropping hints for tablet computer for my birthday. Perhaps I should keep talking about Roomba.




16 comments:

  1. I have tiles in the laundry/bathroom and old, cracked vinyl flooring in the other two rooms. My whole flat would probably fit in your living room. I use a broom. It just doesn't seem worth the effort to set up the vacuum. I'm glad I don't have carpet though. One of my daughters planned on buying a Roomba, I don't remember why she didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, a broom is all you need for hard surfaces. If you think of it, please ask her why she didn't.

      Delete
    2. I asked and that was the month the washing machine died and had to be replaced, a much bigger expense which is still being paid for.

      Delete
    3. River, yes the washing machine is much more important.

      Delete
  2. I honestly have never heard of a Roomba Andrew, sounds like something that you might do with a partner :) seriously I have spent a lot of money over the years on poopy vacuum cleaners..UNTIL...I bought my Dyson, what can I say, its a love story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the Dyson inventor/head of the company interviewed Grace. Quite fascinating and they are a high price, but I expect worth it.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole Andrew. How often would you have to empty that tiny holding chamber? You'd have to follow it around.
    I'm a Bosch kind of guy although my vacuum is a Miele - expensive but I'm so worth it and it does a super job.
    Oh Grace - I don't like Dyson's too much but on behalf of the UK government thank you for buying one of our export products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, at the moment with carpet fluff, it would have to be emptied very often. Really though, there is nothing wrong with our old one.

      Delete
  4. I have thought of getting a Roomba but I think it would scare my cat Ruby to death LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, see the comment below. They get used to them.

      Delete
  5. Try looking at 'Cat on a Roomba' in Youtube.

    Honestly I think would be a waste of money getting a Roomba - dontthink they would do a good job Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one step ahead and looked up Roomba on YT a while ago and saw the cat video and some dogs ones too. The Roomba was very impressive in the tv ad, as it would be. Yes, I think we will keep the one we have.

      Delete
  6. I'd only get a Roomba if I could be guaranteed my cats would sit on it and ride around the room. I have spent many an hour on youtube looking up cats and roomba. My favourite is "Cat In A Shark Costume Chases A Duck While Riding A Roomba"

    I have a Miele, it sucks with the most awesome power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Fen. Your tiger riding a Roomba would be fun to see. I don't thing the YT vid you mention came up in my search. I better look then.

      Our Revolta is perfectly adequate and sucks well enough to take the skin off!

      Delete
  7. My vacuum is a Hoover Hero, uses paper bags to collect the dust and they hold quite a bit more than expected. With a pair of chopsticks you can empty out the dust too and keep using the same bag although that tends to get messy and I only did it a couple of times when I had been down to the last bag. Now of course the machine sits in the back porch and gets a workout maybe once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, don't worry about spilling the contents after after removing them with chopsticks. You have the machine out. You can just vacuum the mess up.

      Delete