Thursday, May 09, 2013

Ripponlea Pt 1

I had planned to do something on the day, but then realised where I was planning to go was not open. I thought I might just have relaxing walk around the gardens of the historic home in Elsternwick, Ripponlea. For the home itself there is another spelling Rippon Lee, but that seems to be lost.

I caught the bus from home to the stop right outside the gate. I guess I strolled around for about one and and half hours. It would have been nice to do with someone else to talk to about what I saw.

Paths, there are paths in every direction, up hill and down dale.


 One of the three waterfalls I discovered.


A willow tree, on the left, and pampas grass flowers on the right. Both are are weed pests in
Victoria, for good reasons, but how nice they look.


Did I frame this well?


A glimpse of lawn. There is a lot of lawn. See the next post.


A remaining red canna lily, and one of the two bridges across the lake.
 

The boat house. There are two row boats inside the boat house, still there as they were when I last visited
Ripponlea, some twenty five years ago.


The noisy waterfall.

 


Is it a rotunda? Maybe. It is quite some building, with steep and narrow stairs, even though it is not so old.


The scenery from the tower rotunda was very nice.



Part 2 of the house from the outside and its history later.

12 comments:

  1. Some beautiful reflections. I would enjoy walking around those gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pleasant Fun60, although see my comment below.

      Delete
  2. Great photos Andrew. It's hard to believe it's there when speeding past on nearby busy Nepean Highway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. It is not so hard to believe there are many lanes of traffic speeding past when you are in the gardens. The noise is quite intrusive, especially near the perimeters.

      Delete
  3. You did frame that scene very well Andrew. The whole area is very pretty and I like the view from the rotunda tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very pretty River. I saw some deck chairs somewhere and I was thinking how nice it would be to drag it onto the lawn and have a snooze in the sun.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos, I should drop in there myself, it's not far up the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so far Fen? Well worth a visit. I caught a slow bus to get there

      Delete
  5. I love Ripponlea which is within walking distance of my home. But I will wait until you go inside and have a good look. It is a great place for engagement parties, bar mitzvas and weddings. Especially in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been inside before Hels. I was not paying this time. Walking distance from your home? You don't think I a stalker type person?

      Delete
  6. What a very lovely walk Andrew, I would have joined you in a flash! You really did frame the reflections beautifully it looks fantastic when enlarged..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. It was a nice stroll.

      Delete