Sunday, May 19, 2013

Out Bundoora Way Pt 1

Where on earth am I? I have been transported by the 86 tram to wilds I do not know.


Turning around I notice city views.


I strolled up a side street past this splendid old gum tree.


Ah, this looks nice


 And so does this. Might that be a driveway gravel of a grand house?


It is Bundoora Homestead, located in the evocatively named Snake Gully Drive.


Although in the the first photo below is what would have normally greeted visitors, in the second one to the left is the side that faces you as you approach from the street. The modern public entrance is on the side that cannot be seen in either photo.



I find bricked up openings quite fascinating, as my imagination wonders about why was it bricked up and what was there.


Back in Plenty Road, I noticed Flavours buffet restaurant has closed and vegetation is starting to creep in on it. It was once a Smorgys Restaurant, known for its smorgasbord, or buffet, food.


Some house interior shots and a little history in another post.


22 comments:

  1. Look what happens when we go exploring in our own cities - we find new and interesting sites to explore. Bundoora Homestead looks amazing, as do the gardens. Some late Victorian family must have had pots of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I hope I can include such information as money in my next post about the house.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, the Homestead building looks interesting. I do like it when bloggers get out of the house and away from the computer for a while and show us their local environments through their pictures, as you do. Just wish more would do it.
    Oh and can you believe it... we're back yet again! My blog must have nine lives.

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, this blogger is out of the house in working times. The luxury of holidays. Nothing has come through on my reader, so I guess I will have to manually look.

      Delete
  3. Good to see a little more of your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, it so far from where I live and very different country, but it is Melbourne.

      Delete
  4. Bags I the bedroom that leads to the upper balcony. Could live there very nicely I could. Complete with servants naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFG, sorry. I am already in that room.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, I just noticed you words, "It's alright love, it will be ok tomorrow" - they cheered me up no end. Just what I needed after this morning's events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFG, I nearly deleted that today. I will leave it there longer now. So care to tell?

      Delete
  6. Hmmm...am now tempted to go and check out Bundoora sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother Ad Rad. You have seen the photos. It is Bundoora, after all.

      Delete
  7. Another great eye-opener! And yes, I love bricked up openings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, some times I feel like you are a sparring partner. Should I read anything into bricked up openings?

      Delete
    2. No. That was not a typo, you naughty boy.

      Delete
  8. Bundoora Homestead. I had a hard time tearing my eyes away from that magnificence. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I was really in an area out of my league but I am glad I made the effort. Hopefully I can make Part 2 interesting.

      Delete
  9. Bundoora Homestead is ab fab Andrew, I also find blocked up entrances, especially arches for some reason, very intriguing. Surprising what you come across when you get yourself lost oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it would be nice to focused and research the history, but we have other things to do.

      Delete
  10. Wasn't that house in psycho ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I can see why you would say that.

      Delete