Saturday, May 18, 2013

Leningrad Cowboys

The Leningrad Cowboys have been around since the mid eighties. I have never taken much notice of them. They are a Finish band which at times performed with the Russian military Alexandrov Ensemble. I had a bit of a laugh at their combined performance, I think in Helsinki. There seems to be a bit of bonus Piaf thrown in for no apparent reason. If you get through the first track, the second is a bit more traditional, vaguely familiar to me.



Or perhaps you would like some a little brighter? Try the first track in this one. It is rather camp with some sailor boys.



Or just to smile, the second track on this one at 4m.



Never ever again shall I google 'funny song', but I was feeling a bit flat and I grinned the whole time I was looking at these vids.

11 comments:

  1. Andrew.......
    Watching these was like having a bloody large gin and tonic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, that would be refreshing?

      Delete
  2. When I read the post title I thought initially it might be a new club in the AFL's expansion plans.

    Yes I remember these Cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - 'if you get through the first track' Tsk, tsk.

    'Those Were The Days' was a world wide hit for Mary Hopkins in the late 1960s. It was an update of a Russian tune from earlier in the century. It is played regularly at the nursing home where I volunteer and never fails to bring a rousing reaction from the residents many of whom are well into dementia. I love it.

    The second track is also a traditional Russian song. Maybe its my east European origins (through descent) that makes these tunes so familiar and enjoyable to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, Those Were the Days is one of the few songs I know all the words to, or used to.

      Delete
  4. I can just imagine - no, actually I can't - the Song of the Volga Boatmen enthralling an audience in a rock concert nowadays.

    I really enjoyed these three clips, thanks for digging them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might excite the younguns Victor.

      Delete
  5. Sweet Home Alabama! hilarious.
    I LOVE that show, and have seen the whole thing about 3 times, also their movie Leningrad Cowboys Go America. hysterical.
    'We're the Leningrad cowboys, raising cattle on The Steppes.
    Won't you pour me another wodka, cos I'm drinkin' to forget".

    and those guys in the red army band sure can sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I didn't listen to that one as I don't recognise it by name. I will do so.

      Delete
  6. Leningrad Cowboys. I've heard the name, but for some reason always thought they were male strippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, at least you thought they were something, a step ahead of me.

      Delete