Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Dishwashing and salt

We have a pump dispenser for dishwashing liquid. For some reason when R last topped it up, the liquid from the storage bottle was really watery. Someone had topped up the storage bottle with water. How odd and why?

I was looking forward to our meal of lasagne, but it was so salty. We don't add salt to food as it is cooking and while R may add some salt to his meal, I don't. Even as a kid, I was never salt person and so now, I am very sensitive to salt. I do like my ground black pepper though. R's Sister added salt to the lasagne.

They really weren't dishwasher machine people. They had no idea how to load a dishwasher. Mind, R is not so good at it either. I am a perfect dishwasher loader. 

One of our hotplate burner's lighter ceramic surround thingie is broken. Oddly, the hotplate still lights without the ceramic bit. Who broke the ceramic surround?

I am very glad I told R's sister to not concern herself with our clothes washing but to just do their own. We bought a small clothes drying rack for their bedroom before they arrived. It proved very useful for them and apart from a small increase in water usage when they were here, the electric and hot water bill are much as they would have been had they not been here. Mind, our electric bill cracked the $500 for the three months. I put it down to really hot weather in February and March and the air con worked hard. Now we are heating, it is hard to imagine what a short time ago we were cooling.

The High Rise is a no smoking premise, so R's sister and bro in law spent a lot of time on the balcony, but there is still a burn in the carpet from their last visit. No matter, soon to be replaced.

Nevertheless, R's sister is lovely and it was wonderful to have them here. I just don't get the watering down of the dishwashing detergent. Why?

12 comments:

  1. I related a bit to this post Andrew. Firstly I'm not a dishwasher person either, have never had one..just don't get it, it takes five mins to wash a load of dishes. Oh yeh, and one of my hotplates is kaput also! ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, nothing more to say than I totally disagree with you.

      Delete
  2. I don't own a dishwasher. The other half the beer fairy uses paper towel for plates only toast, cakes that sort of thing a bit weird when we have guests but most people are aware he is a bit mad, so very little washing up.
    As for salt my mother had high b/p so my childhood was spent without much salt so i always forget to put salt in cooking you learn to live without it.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I often think of doing that with paper towel, but then I think, what a waste of a sheet of paper towel. Yes,the economics on that don't work out.

      Not only salt, but you can get used to not having sugar too.

      Delete
  3. Andrew,

    You are a bit pernickerty. Any potential visitors to your flat would be pretty brave to come if they had read your blog beforehand!

    As to the dishwashing liquid - my guess: dispenser almost empty so not dispensing freely, person loading does not know where extra supplies are (or possibly cannot be bothered seeking them out), adds extra water to get what liquid remains out of the dispenser. Alternative hypothesis: replace "person loading" with "person intending to do a little dishwashing by hand."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, there are benefits in have a blog that family and friends, bar one, don't know about.

      Maybe the person thought it was concentrate?

      Delete
  4. i dream of having a dishwasher, but I don't suppose I'll ever have one even if I win lotto. I'm the only person in the world who actually likes washing dishes. Perhaps watering down the dishwashing liquid is what they do at home to make it last longer? My mum used to do that with shampoos. I eat a lot less salt now than I used to, I never add it to my cooking and for eating I only add it to eggs, just a tiny sprinkle, and chips, a slightly larger sprinkle. I've had to give up things like cup-a-soup now because I find them too salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I remember my grandmother buying a small foil packet of concentrate and the adding water to it. Never ever water down the tomato sauce as some used to. I must say, I do like chips with salt, but I don't add it myself. Other people do the dirty work.

      Delete
  5. Theft perhaps? That dishwashing liquid?? Syphoned off and taken back to England??? Then topped up with water thinking you wouldn't know??
    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite believable Ian, if it was vodka.

      Delete
  6. Have you checked the vodka since their departure???

    ReplyDelete
  7. What vodka Ian? There was none left and in spite of replenishing the supply when they left, there is still none left.

    ReplyDelete