Sunday, May 05, 2013

A Saturday Laugh (late)

At the moment I am having to post twice a day to keep up with what I have found. There will be a time when I have found nothing of interest.

Time Spanner recently spent some time swanning around Dunedin on the south island of New Zealand. She took lots of photos of gorgeous things; historical, monuments, buildings.

I have been to Dunedin and it rained constantly and was cold. Nevertheless, it was a vibrant place with lots of university students and it felt somewhat like an educated town.

I am researching, but is it true that Dunedin is the second largest city in New Zealand? Maybe the South Island? (I have checked, it is 7th) I am not sure if I am accurate in saying that Dunedin locals speak with a Scottish accent but the town certainly has a Scottish feel to it, and connections back to Scotland. 

Those dour Scots....but the New Zealand Scots in Dunedin can be light hearted. These two photos Time Spanner posted of a bus in a depot amused me muchly. Note the wee on the destination. Rather beats Melbourne's tram destination display of 'Sorry, not in service'.



8 comments:

  1. Our buses don't even have the "sorry", all we get is not in service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is no reason a bus needs to say sorry, if it is out of service. No need to say sorry.

      Delete
  2. Dunedin is the second largest by land area, not by population. Up until we Aucklanders spoiled the party in late 2010 by becoming a super city, engulfing nine legacy councils, Dunedin City Council had control of the largest area.

    Mind you, there are still tourist coach drivers telling visitors down there that they're the largest. They seemed disappointed to learn that is no longer the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok TS. I understand now. Tourist coach drivers are rather good at myths.

      Delete
  3. I love the bus sign. A good sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited Dunedin last year and yes it was absolutely pouring down when I was there. I really enjoyed the botanical gardens and the beautiful railway station but I wasn't so enamoured with eating haggis and listening to a crude comedian speaking like Billy Connelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, Time Spanner has some nice Dunedin Railway Station photos. I'll give both haggis and Connelly wannabes a miss too.

      Delete