Friday, April 26, 2013

Reader will go poof!

My home page on my desk top computer is the weather bureau's rain radar page. My home page on my laptop is Google. On the desk top I have frequently visited sites on the bookmark toolbar. That is how I get to Google Reader to read what you have written. If I want to comment, I will click on either your blog title or the post title and the same goes if I want to see your blog site for whatever reason, but otherwise, I will read what you have written and see the photos in Google Reader.

I don't have the laptop set up the same way.  With Google as my homepage, I click on a drop down box and there is the link to reader, well there was. It has vamoosed and I guess that is because Google Reader is closing down.

I not only use Google Reader for blog feeds, but also for podcast notifications. A new podcast is released from whatever I have subscribed to, and it is there in Reader, with a link to download the podcast. ITunes sucks.

What to do with Google Reader closing down? I looked at some recommendations, one being the very popular Feedly. It was very simple to import my feeds but it felt very alien, even after I fiddled with settings and it has stuck an icon up on right of my browser. I will decide who sticks icons on my country browser.

I had to do some convoluted stuff, but without resorting to instructions (see, I am a real man and never ask directions), I managed to import my feeds into Old Reader and I am much more comfortable with Old Reader. It is more like Google Reader.......ah, that is because that is what it is based on. It even imported my folders from Google Reader.

If you are used to Google Reader, then I think Old Reader might be the one for you.

Later: Someone tweeted about a replacement for Google Reader, and this post was just sitting there for a time when I was short of something to write.  There was no rush as Google Reader is not closing until mid year, but given someone was wondering, I have now published it.

If mine is the only blog you read, you don't need a reader. I thank you for your dedication, or do I just fill you with lust. If you read three blogs, you still don't need a reader. If you read a decent number of blogs, a reader makes it much much easier.

12 comments:

  1. You're more techno-savvy than me. I have a reading list via Blogger and it has the latest updates at the top of the list. Yours, therefore is always revealed as you'd have to be one of the most prolific writers out there, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I think your list would only contain blogspot blogs that have done Google Friend Connect. I don't think it will do wordpress and certainly not podcasts.

      Yes, I churn out the quantity over quality, for sure. Sometimes I think I should post less and polish more, but it is just not how it works for me.

      Delete
  2. Google reader is closing down?
    Rats!
    Now I have to re-bookmark all the blogs I read.
    Or maybe not. All new posts are on my blogger home page which I see after I sign in.
    Maybe I'll re-bookmark them anyway.
    Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think that would be a good idea, at least for ones that are not blogspot blogs.

      Delete
  3. Ok don't panic Grace..I don't understand anything you just wrote Andrew..AIMEE heeeeeeeeelp! Why the heck (polite) do they keep changing things, they have absolutely no consideration for technophobes like moi! Meanwhile..I did think of you when I wrote the 'greasing up' comment today, AND tomorrow, I'll let you guess at what point haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not changing Grace. They are just shutting it down because it is of no use to them, never mind us.

      I am confused. I guess I commented at about 2am Friday morning. I will take a look.

      Delete
  4. I love Feedly. It's neat and easy on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tai, as I said I did try it and in some ways it was better, but Old Reader was closer to what I was used to.

      Delete
  5. I also love Flipboard because I can check Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram and many news and magazines. It's just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tai, there just are not enough hours in the day for me to get involved in all those. I use Twitter sporadically and check my two FB accounts once a week.

      Delete
  6. Feedly is okay, but like you I don't like that icon. Have not tried Old Reader. I attempted Flipboard but it confused me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Reader might be a bit slow picking up posts, but otherwise, I like it.

    ReplyDelete