Saturday, April 06, 2013

Inbox stress

'95 or '96 a computer connected to the internet first arrived at the Highrise. Nay, we weren't here then. We were in Balaclava. For those who have grown up with computers, that is quite meaningless, but the arrival of the internet was life changing. It pleases me to say that computers and the internet work an awfully lot better now than they did back then. We are not quite to plug and play, but very close.

Most people who know me would agree that I am control freak. I am quite happy to let other people do things if they can do them better than I can, but so few can. (I told this to our dyke friend, who is really a control freak, and she laughed and agreed she thought the same)

I have always kept tight control of our computer, backing up, sorting, not letting it get out of control..........but yet it has. I have the longest list of unsorted bookmarks I have ever had. I had many many pictures that need filing in their correct places. My personal email inbox is out of control. 'Movies' are sprinkled all over the place.

The external hard drive does some sort of back up every Sunday night, but I don't trust it and I have always backed up things myself. I am way behind in that.

This has only happened in the last six months. I need holidays, where I am home alone and no-one bothers me. I feel somewhat overwhelmed by the task.

But at the end of the day, in the fullness of time, what does it matter? Who will care what is on my hard drive and what I have saved once I have gone.

There must now be quite a number of people who have died who were computer users. I wonder what happens to their hard drives?

8 comments:

  1. I have similar out of control issues with my pictures files and my I-tunes folder. I tried to make a start in the pictures but got hopelessly messed up in there. The I-tunes seems okay on the surface, but I need to listen to a lot of the newly added music and see if I really like it, then add things to various playlists, but first I need to somehow equalize all the volumes. I have music that was recorded back in the 50s and 60s, even the 70s when the recording volume was so much lower than it is today; if I load my ipod without equalizing, I find I'm jumping up and down all day turning up this or turning down that, it's become a nightmare. And I've been avoiding it. My email is okay, I don't get much of that and I regularly delete bookmarks that I haven't looked at in a long while, so that's all good. I need to do an external backup, but I'd prefer to back up a perfect I-tunes folder, not the mish mash of volumes I now have. I'll probably get to it mid-winter when the weather says stay home!
    I never thought about what would happen to my computer when I go....my daughter will probably take it, use what she can and delete the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you are a step ahead of me with music files, but then I don't listen to much music. That is a point about backing up, first you need to sort things out. I hope your daughter will keep your photos, but because of the volume of photos we take with digital cameras, you need to have them sorted and labelled well.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting that you wonder what happens to hard drives etc, because I read yesterday that the British museum wants to catalogue every single UK-situated website, article and blog, saying that there's a lot of info out there that could potentially be lost otherwise.

    ...personally, I think that a great deal of my info could be lost and it would be for the good of future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so Kath. What you have put on the record will be invaluable to the future historians. Are there great records from the sixteenth century? Maybe not. But you have recorded a moment in time. It is not to be devalued. My blog gets archived by the State Library every so often. I can go back with Pandora and look at my old wallpapers and fonts. Yours should be, Aussies living abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Movies' you say!
    I'm ruthless with my inbox and the rest is fairly up to date, but there is just me, so it's easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said Fen. Most have thin plots though.

      I am usually like you, but once it starts to get out of control, it takes effort to haul it back to normal.

      Delete
  5. I have 150 letters my dad wrote to my mum between 1946 and 49 - they are a treasure. On Don's old computer I found heaps of stuff - and I still have it. Mine is just over the top and needs organising like yours - one day. I see the blog posts are like a sort of journal of not just the times but the thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, the letters are a nice memento, as is Don's computer. Make sure things on it are backed up. I will make an effort to clear mine. I like the way I can look back in my blog to find out what I was doing and when.

      Delete