Monday, April 08, 2013

But is is art #713

The Archibald prize for portrait art is well respected and earns the artist much cred and some money, but I find the paintings a bit boring. Here is the winning portrait from 2012. No idea who it is supposed to be.


It seems it has died now, but Melbourne used to have Itchy Balls art prize. The Museum of Particularly Bad Art web site has not been updated since 2010. Gosh, when searching for it, I came across my own post from 2006.

But here is an art prize that has not caught my attention before, the Bald Archy. There are some great works there. I will get to this year's winner at the end but here are a few entries from years past, winners and this year's losers.

Bart Cummings is quite old and a horse racing trainer.


The Danish royal family, with our Mary.


Bert was a winner. He is/was an omnipresent media personality and bald as a badger but always wore a piece before he had a hair transplant. He does not take himself too seriously. 


Leader of our Federal Opposition in the pan.


Leader of our Government, also in the pan.


Julian Assange. I have just watched the telemovie about his early years and it was surprisingly good and very interesting if you are a nerdy type and interested in the early days of computers and know what a Commodore 64 is.


I love this one of our Julia, the Prime Minister of Australia. "I'll get that Rudd/Abbott, by hook or by crook."


This year's Bald Archy winning portrait, mining magnate Gina Rinehart with her daughter Giana who is the only child of hers who she is still on speaking terms with. It references a European work of a couple centuries ago. Ever so clever. I love it.


10 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE the Bald Archys and put the Gina Rinehardt one up on facebook a few days ago. If that was ever released as a poster, I'd buy it instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Kath, you are a step ahead of me.

      Delete
  2. The Archibald Prize for portraiture has the formal judging system by experts. And, as you noted, you might find some/most of the paintings a bit boring.

    But the clever sods, they also invented a popular winner, as selected by ordinary voters. It would be interesting to know if the Peoples' Winner is the same as the Judges' Winner or if the People are more radical/modern/demented than the Judges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I had forgotten that, the peoples' choice. I vaguely recall that they don't match.

      Delete
  3. That's art???
    Meh.
    We had a Commodore 64 back in 1987, for about four hours. None of us could work out how to use it, perhaps there was a part we hadn't bought or something, but we packed it up and returned it. Then we spent that money on a new VCR for the family room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you did the right thing. Computers were useless back then. I wasn't until the internet arrived that they became interesting.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the Bald Archies! JG as noir goddess is a GREAT pic even if one didn't know who she was!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I agree. Whether she smokes or not, I don't know, but it is perfect picture.

      Delete
  5. My first reaction on seeing this winner was "how long before La Gina tries to sue someone" for implying she's greedy?
    But I do think it's awfully good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, much to Gina's chagrin, some things can still be done in Australia to mock the high and mighty. If it is not to be done in words, then it will be done in pictures.

      Delete