Monday, April 22, 2013

Adieu Chrissy

Sunday mornings in the eighties and the nineties, if I wasn't working or had a lot to do, would see me in front of the tv watching music video clips. Ah, the eighties, when I liked music.

In the latter part of the noughties, I transferred videotaped music clips to dvds for my future wallowing in nostalgia. One of clips was Chrissy Amplette's, It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure and Pain. It is indeed a fine line, in all walks of life. I really liked her. She seemed to be intelligent, refined and yet wild, wicked and exotic. What a wonderful combination, and I am very saddened to hear she died today at the young age of 53.  I think I have known nearly as many women who have died from breast cancer than I know gay men who have died from AIDS. Breast cancer really is a bitch.

Adieu Chrissy. You were fab.



12 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was saddened to read of her death too. I bopped along to her and the Divinyls in my wild and wooly youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wombat. You being a bit younger would have absorbed Divinyls music wholeheartedly.

      Delete
  2. Apart from Divinyls hits I knew nothing about her, but this arv people were saying nice things on 774, with Molly Meldrum using the word "compassionate" as well as describing her battle with MS as "dignified".

    No words can help her now, but I selfishly appreciated hearing something positive about someone for a change.

    PS - how long have you had the quote from Psalm 7 at the foot of your blog? Have I missed something that I'll now regret missing? Or am I just totally unobservant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I didn't listen the radio much today, so I missed that. She was cool.

      Saw the psalm somewhere and grabbed it, and a couple of months later, today in fact, I added it. I feel it is appropriate for me.

      Delete
  3. I saw this on the news and before they mentioned the name I worried that it might be Suzie Quatro, one of my favourites. I'd almost completely forgotten about Chrissy Amplette, I hadn't listened to a lot of Divinyls music, but I remember that song you mentioned quite well.
    Sad that she had to go so young. Cancer of any type is a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, like many of the time, once you start looking at You Tube and the different clips, you are surprised how many songs you would know.

      Delete
  4. She was a dead set legend and one of my eighties favourites. Vale, Chrissie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much part of your youth, Kath.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes James. Ever interview her?

      Delete
  6. stuns me that so many people are inspired by her death to buy her music so suddenly it's #1.
    and I wonder why they didn't already have it.
    She was cousin to sixties surf girl Little Pattie Amphlett.
    RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em Stacks, I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps it is just people becoming aware of her again, or for the first time. I Saw Little Pattie on the tv talking about her, and I wondered why. Now I know.

      Delete